TR: Wind River Range 9/19 to 9/26

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report Wind River Range 9/19 to 9/26

Post by robertseeburger »

Thanks for replies... I jotted down NWS Riverton site for next years trip and future reference.

On the fishing pressure.. and usage.. a couple of comments.
Island Lake seems to get as much usage as the JMT in the Sierras.. Very clear lots of people get there. I did catch one decent trout there without much effort.
On Wall Lake and Mistake Lake... there didn't appear to be a lot of usage..just judging from the "use trails" to get there.
And.. we stared down at one of the lower lakes ( Gorge Lake) and were thinking..they looked sweet for fishing.. as you suggest.

Oh well.. we picked the most popular place to start. Next year something different!! Indian Reservation Side.. probably, although I love the look of the Cirque of the Towers as well, but that is probably just as popular as Titcomb..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not hesitate to first visit the popular areas in a new mountain range. After all, there is good reason they are popular! Titcomb Basin and Cirque of the Towers are scenic and climbing destinations, not necessarily for fishing or solitude. Cirque of the Towers can be incorporated into a longer trip that would also include some better fishing areas. But I would not skip the Cirque just because it is popular or fishing not the greatest.

Gorge Lake is hard to get to and not sure the fishing would be better.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Great report and nice fish! Sure looks like a big golden to me. Thanks for giving me even more reason to try to plan a trip out there in the future.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Great, one more hike to add to my bucket list! Seriously though, beautiful pics. It looks wide open and huge. Nice Golden Trout as well.