Now I lay me down to sleep

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Now I lay me down to sleep

Post by John Harper »

AlmostThere wrote:
John Harper wrote:I bought a Klymit Static V-lite Insulated a couple years ago. Extremely comfortable, easy to inflate, 23 inches wide, 19 ounces, under $100, no problem sleeping on your side, quiet material too.

http://www.klymit.com/insulated-static-v-lite.html
Want another one? The one I have is damned uncomfortable. Hate it.

Then again, I have a woman's hips. Cause they go with my gender.

Don't get Klymit if you have a quilt or Big Agnes bag with no insulation under you. You'll get cold. I had to use a fleece under me on the pad, to get warm. Air just rolls right on into those deep channels.
Sure, I'll take it, PM me if you're serious. I found the Klymit to be the most comfortable pad I've slept on, especially for a side sleeper.

John
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

AlmostThere wrote:I've been sending pads back to the manufacturer. They repair them or send a new pad. Exped repaired my Synmat without charge despite it being outside the warranty.

The sleeping pads that you sent in for repair were they leaking because of a defect or leaking because of a pin hole leak that you got in the field? Thats very good customer service if they are repairing user caused pin hole leaks.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Now I lay me down to sleep

Post by AlmostThere »

John Harper wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:
John Harper wrote:I bought a Klymit Static V-lite Insulated a couple years ago. Extremely comfortable, easy to inflate, 23 inches wide, 19 ounces, under $100, no problem sleeping on your side, quiet material too.

Don't get Klymit if you have a quilt or Big Agnes bag with no insulation under you. You'll get cold. I had to use a fleece under me on the pad, to get warm. Air just rolls right on into those deep channels.
Sure, I'll take it, PM me if you're serious. I found the Klymit to be the most comfortable pad I've slept on, especially for a side sleeper.

John
For you maybe... I pulled a muscle and had hip pain sleeping on my side on it. Not to mention the cold seeping up those channels. Shudder to think what would have happened on that subfreezing night without that fleece -- we had ice on the tent in the morning.

I just found the receipt -- I'm going to get some clothes with the refund.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

cmon4day wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I've been sending pads back to the manufacturer. They repair them or send a new pad. Exped repaired my Synmat without charge despite it being outside the warranty.

The sleeping pads that you sent in for repair were they leaking because of a defect or leaking because of a pin hole leak that you got in the field? Thats very good customer service if they are repairing user caused pin hole leaks.
They really didn't ask about it. The leak was found to be a previously patched spot. I do find that Big Agnes and Exped, and Thermarest, have excellent service. Some are requiring date of purchase and receipt now, where they weren't before, I see. It might make getting the Big Agnes Q Core I reviewed repaired a bit troublesome. I didn't pay for it.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

AlmostThere wrote:
cmon4day wrote:

They really didn't ask about it. The leak was found to be a previously patched spot. I do find that Big Agnes and Exped, and Thermarest, have excellent service. Some are requiring date of purchase and receipt now, where they weren't before, I see. It might make getting the Big Agnes Q Core I reviewed repaired a bit troublesome. I didn't pay for it.
I have the Q Core sleeping pad and I love it. I use it in conjunction with my Big Agnes sleeping bag which has a slip on the bottom side of the sleeping bag where the pad is inserted. On my last BP trip, however, I got a pin hole leak. I found the leak and repaired in the field with the supplied repair kit. All is good now.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

AlmostThere wrote:
John Harper wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:

John
For you maybe... I pulled a muscle and had hip pain sleeping on my side on it. Not to mention the cold seeping up those channels. Shudder to think what would have happened on that subfreezing night without that fleece -- we had ice on the tent in the morning.

I just found the receipt -- I'm going to get some clothes with the refund.
I'm kind of a "warm" sleeper and use a bag, so no issues so far. Glad you can get a refund/credit and get something you can use.

John
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I've been using the short length NeoAir since summer 2012 and have used it many nights. Before that used an older Thermarest pad a few years and before that foam pads for 3 decades. My current NeoAir began intermittently slow leaking this year and need to give it the hot water in bathtub treatment again as my first attempt to find the leak was unsuccessful. Am a light sleeper and rather tolerant of uneven and hard sleeping surfaces in part because I am a light weight at 138# so my body does not press down as heavily. Note I move around very little if at all while sleeping. The NeoAir feels most comfortable if not fully inflated so parts of one's body bottom out that provides some stability.

An amusing thing about sleeping pads is once a person is asleep, a sleeping pad has no affect on whether a person will get a good night's sleep. Thus it is usually only when a person is trying to go to sleep that a comfortable pad is an issue. The person that makes the biggest deal about a comfortable soft and level sleeping surface is ironically the one that falls asleep fastest, is the most sound sleeper thus hard to wake up, sleeps the longest time, and probably snores haha. People in this era are rather wimpy in that regard because all our ancestors had to be content with much less and apparently did ok.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

balzaccom wrote:
Well, you can beat that.

Because about two weeks later, instead of fixing all of the leaks in our older model mattresses, they sent us brand new ones that don't leak.

We're sold. Again. We can hardly wait to sleep on them. Again.

Balzaccom,

I'm curious. What model pad did they send?
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I have several thernarests including a large one for camping. When they came out (I think en the 70s) to me it changed backpacking. Most people sleep poorly at high elevation so we need all the help we can get.