Jennie Lakes Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Jennie Lakes Wilderness

Post by fyton2v »

Hello! Noob here.

I was hoping someone here could clue me in on the expected conditions around Weaver and Jennie Lake in the Sequoia NP over Memorial Day weekend. I haven't hiked in the Sierra this early in the season and I'm not sure what to expect in the way of snow.

I'd like to make this an easy family overnight trek. I'd be toting the wife and kids. We will be OK for nighttime temps in the 30s, but we wouldn't be prepared for much snow. I called the local ranger station and they haven't been up that way this season.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Jennie Lakes Wilderness

Post by giantbrookie »

fyton2v wrote:Hello! Noob here.

I was hoping someone here could clue me in on the expected conditions around Weaver and Jennie Lake in the Sequoia NP over Memorial Day weekend. I haven't hiked in the Sierra this early in the season and I'm not sure what to expect in the way of snow.

I'd like to make this an easy family overnight trek. I'd be toting the wife and kids. We will be OK for nighttime temps in the 30s, but we wouldn't be prepared for much snow. I called the local ranger station and they haven't been up that way this season.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure the lakes will be thawed by Memorial Day weekend given that small snowpack and the elevation of those lakes. Some snow may remain on the steep, north-facing slopes above both lakes (especially above Jennie). Most of the route to the higher lake (Jennie) is west and south-facing so it should be snow free. Only the last mile, beyond Poop Out Pass, is north facing. I wouldn't be shocked if you encountered a few patches of snow on that stretch. There is an outside chance I'll be up at Weaver on Friday (if I decide against going to Cora Lakes). If I do, I'll post what I saw here.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted

Post by fyton2v »

What you described is pretty much what I expected with miserable snow pack this year, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If you're up that way I'd really appreciate a report. Thanks much for the info.

How's the fishing in Weaver lake? I'll be packing a fly rod.
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

fyton2v wrote:What you described is pretty much what I expected with miserable snow pack this year, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If you're up that way I'd really appreciate a report. Thanks much for the info.

How's the fishing in Weaver lake? I'll be packing a fly rod.
I never tried with Weaver, but it is a popular destination for fly fishing.
I know that Jennie was LOADED early last summer. I was pumping water on a log and counted 4 large brown trout one afternoon.
A fly called "black ant" works best.
They no longer stock these lakes, but they hold some decent trout fishing.

I can only guess that the snow will be very low. I doubt any rangers will be up there before early to mid June. I went up there June 4th last year and I had the only tracks on the snow.

I suspect coming down from Poop Out Pass to Jennie may have some snow. The area heading up to JO pass may also have some patches. It's easy to get turned around there. The biggest problem is going to be fallen trees, as those won't be cleared yet.

Last year the snow level was 9000ft in early June, but now it's anybodies guess with the low snow.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

For whatever it's worth, the snow measurement on the north slopes of Mount Mitchell (at about 9,900') is 2.1 inches SWEQ (which translates to maybe a foot or two of snow) and it's melting fast.

Here's the snow course page for the Kings watershed: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/s ... Kings.html
Here's the location on a topo: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36. ... &layer=DRG
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

TehipiteTom, thanks for the links. Does that mean that both lakes are probably thawed by now?

fyton2v, I'll be heading up to Weaver and possibly Jennie tomorrow and I'll definitely be bringing the fly rods so I'll be sure to report back on what I find here. Giantbrookie has a few reports from Weaver on his awesome website in the fishing updates section, and from that it looks like brookies to 12" or so.

TwoFortyJeff, thanks for the status of Jennie. Now I'm undecided whether to sacrifice a bit of snooze time in order to check out both lakes tomorrow. It's a good dilemma to have. :cool:
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Fyton2v, I hit Weaver today from early morning to early afternoon and saw a lot of action on mosquitoes and caddis in the 16-18 range with brookies to 11". Most of them were 8-10" though. Pretty fun stalking cruising fish in the shallows and watching them rise up to take your fly. I'd recommend that you go sooner rather than later as there were four other vehicles in the trailhead when we got back and this is only a Friday in the middle of May, I'm sure it'll get crowded as the weather gets warmer and the kids get out of school.
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted

Post by fyton2v »

windknot wrote:Fyton2v, I hit Weaver today from early morning to early afternoon and saw a lot of action on mosquitoes and caddis in the 16-18 range with brookies to 11". Most of them were 8-10" though. Pretty fun stalking cruising fish in the shallows and watching them rise up to take your fly. I'd recommend that you go sooner rather than later as there were four other vehicles in the trailhead when we got back and this is only a Friday in the middle of May, I'm sure it'll get crowded as the weather gets warmer and the kids get out of school.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully, it won't be a zoo next weekend.
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted

Post by fyton2v »

Windknot,

How much time does it take to drive to the trail head from either Fresno or Visalia?
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

I don't know about Visalia, but, depending on traffic and where in the Fresno area one leaves from it is about 1hr30m to 1hr45m to the trailhead.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;