Your favorite mountain scene...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by mountaineer »

Close. The wall is Spring Lake Wall and drops down to Spring Lake. The lake in the photo is Columbine Lake.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

From the Sawtooth / Needham ridge?
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

No, I was standing on the ridge between Columbine and Lost Canyon. Here was the view at the same time looking down Lost Canyon to the east.
(Sorry about the bad scan on this one)
JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

Thanks, got it now!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Well, I was wondering about Mountaineers' photo too. I'm slow on the draw, but here's Columbine Lake from Sawtooth Peak to put it in perspective:

JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

Haaaa, Shaun! Perfect! The only time I've ever seen Columbine Lake in daylight was from the summit of Sawtooth. Every other time we, or I saw it was pulling in very late, trying to make it back to MK. Has anyone done the XC pass between Crystal Lake and Amphitheater Lake? Quite interesting from the east. I also did the XC pass in the next basin north of Franklin Lakes, over to the large unnamed lake in the Soda Creek drainage. Also, crossed the ridge east of Amphitheater Lake to the unnamed tarn just to the south of Needham. All out of the MK area. Saw no one for 3 days back there. Made a fun little loop trip.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n= ... ayer=DRG25
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well, I haven't done the XC pass between Crystal Lake and Amphitheater Lake but when I was up at Sawtooth we came down via the south ridge and then scrambled down via the Monarch lakes to the trail. Afterwards I was kicking myself for not wandering over to and down around Crystal Lake. Anyway, I stood there above Amphitheater Lake for quite some time just admiring the beauty of the thing; I have a photo of it (below) as my screen saver on this PC.

A favorite view - Amphitheater Lake

This is where I was standing when I took the picture from above Amphitheater Lake - but now looking over to the traverse to Crystal Lake.

JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

Ahhhhh, yes! I love that view south of Sawtooth. That peaklet that looks like a huge Sharkfin. Interestingly, I traversed on ledges below the outlet of Amphitheater Lake. It was sidewalk like. At one point, you actually pass through a tunnel in the rock, where the pack just fit without taking it off. Completely natural, and very cool!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Last edited by Snow Nymph on Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

Mountaineer, might it be Cyclamen Lake? Just have never seen Columbine from that side, in daylight anyway. The Shooting Stars (Dodecatheon Jefferyii) are spectacular at Columbine Lake in season. That wild Cyclamen, is to die for.