Burning calories Question

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Burning calories Question

Post by oldranger »

I have spent 5 of the last 6 weeks away from home. Much of the time in the car--over 8,000 miles or on the beach. Food consumption clearly exceeded the number of calories burned and now I am facing the holidays. The most convenient source of excercise now that I am home is "walking the Butte." Wondering how to calculate how many calories I will burn just on the uphill portion of the hike which is 500 ft. of vertical in 1 mile.

Thanks
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Burning calories Question

Post by rlown »

could use fitbit. It keeps track of daily activity and does a calories burned calculation as well.

eg: https://www.fitbit.com/alta#features there are other options there as well in terms of product.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Level ground - A good rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile are burned for an 180-pound person and 65 calories per mile for a 120-pound person. If uphill and drinking beer?...depends on the beer I guess.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

what about if you're 140lbs and carrying a 36lb pack? I love to see your math skills at work, Mark.. :) And what is this concept of level?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

there must be a calculation for the number of calories it takes to move 1 lb up 1 ft!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here you go Mike: http://hikingscience.blogspot.com/p/cal ... ed_22.html

Cut any simple carbs out of your diet Mike, if you have not already. No white potato, white flour, white bread, or white rice (brown rice too). Eliminate all forms of sugar, 100% chocolate okay. Yams, whole wheat pasta (especially protein enriched), beans, some fruit (especially apples/pears/blueberries), nuts, and copious amounts of vegetables (no starchy ones).
Stick to fish, fowl, and eggs (whites) as your main protein source.
You can exercise all you want, but if your diet is out of whack, you won't have too much to show for it, especially during the holidays.

PS This works for most of clients I work with at the gym. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:Level ground - A good rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile are burned for an 180-pound person and 65 calories per mile for a 120-pound person. If uphill and drinking beer?...depends on the beer I guess.
What if I'm 180lbs and drinking a hoppy IPA on flat ground (albeit, heart rate is up from extended family stress and wrangling little ones)? I need to know if I'm allowed two, or ideally three of those IPAs.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oh.. you haven't experienced Metoprolol or Lisinopril yet.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

maverick wrote:Here you go Mike: http://hikingscience.blogspot.com/p/cal ... ed_22.html

Cut any simple carbs out of your diet Mike, if you have not already. No white potato, white flour, white bread, or white rice (brown rice too). Eliminate all forms of sugar, 100% chocolate okay. Yams, whole wheat pasta (especially protein enriched), beans, some fruit (especially apples/pears/blueberries), nuts, and copious amounts of vegetables (no starchy ones).
Stick to fish, fowl, and eggs (whites) as your main protein source.
;)
100% chocolate ? Kinda bitter ?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:oh.. you haven't experienced Metoprolol or Lisinopril yet.
No thanks. Waiting for January, unlike Markskor.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix