Mt. Langley via OAP Conditions

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
vplane
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mt. Langley via OAP Conditions

Post by vplane »

Hoping to summit Mt. Langley via Old Army Pass this Sunday November 6. If anyone knows how it looks after this past weekend's snow storms, can you let me know? Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Army pass conditions

Post by rlown »

what equipment are you planning to carry, and are you solo?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Mt. Langley via OAP Conditions

Post by maverick »

Your post was split off the original thread and put into the Peak Bagging Forum. ;)

No reports from this past weekend, on any of the outdoor forums, you can try an use the Whitney Cam to get somewhat of an idea of the conditions in the area: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wc_notes.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Steve_C
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve_C »

Several reports from people around Mt Whitney last weekend reported snow / rain and intermittently stormy weather. I think most people stopped at Trail Camp or turned back at Trail Crest. Microspikes were appreciated.

As for Langley, you need to call Inyo County roads department to see if the road to Horseshoe Meadows is still open.
760-878-0202
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Horseshoe Meadow Road

Post by maverick »

According to the Inyo NF site, Horseshoe Meadow Road is closed due to rock fall as of the latest update (10/31).

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/inyo/ ... rdb5192379

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
vplane
Topix Newbie

Post by vplane »

Thanks for replies, everybody. I am going in a group of three...all of us with microspikes only. As of this morning, Horseshoe Meadow Rd is open and the rangers haven't seen any snow since last weekend, not expecting any more either. We'll play it safe, go as far as we can up the pass and be prepared to turn around if it looks sketchy.
vplane
Topix Newbie

Post by vplane »

We turned around about 1/3 of the way up Old Army Pass. Two of us with microspikes, one with crampons who kicked in steps for us up front for a while. None of us had equipment or training to self-arrest, and we got to a point where a slip would be very bad. Oh well.

The reverberating sound of ice cracking at Lake #4 sure was cool though.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Good on you three for making what sounds like the right decision.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

We turned around about 1/3 of the way up Old Army Pass. Two of us with microspikes, one with crampons who kicked in steps for us up front for a while. None of us had equipment or training to self-arrest, and we got to a point where a slip would be very bad. Oh well.
A very wise decision as Jim said. It's always better to turn around and come back another day, then to proceed and not be able to come back any day.