Reynolds Peak via Ebbets Pass PCT (8/28/16)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Reynolds Peak via Ebbets Pass PCT (8/28/16)

Post by cefire »

Haven't seen many reports on Reynolds so I thought I'd share this (will add a few pictures later).

A group of 5 of us started at the Ebbets Pass TH around 10:30 with Reynolds as a goal. We followed directions from SummitPost which say to follow the PCT north for 3.5 miles from the TH. However, 3.5 miles is almost certainly not far enough for an ideal approach :smirk:

Anyway, we left at about 3.6 miles and headed for an obvious saddle between Reynolds and Pt. 9540-ish to the South. After obtaining this ridge, we expected to head North around the West side of the summit; however, this was clearly not a viable route when inspecting from the saddle. The west face of Reynolds consists of a thin veil of loose gravel sized rocks over a hard sandy base - prime territory for prolonged slips and slides :eek: Furthermore, the West face has 5 (or so) extensive gulleys running most of the way down to the basin on the W and SW of the peak.

Deciding that our planned approach was bust, the group split. 3 ventured South from the saddle to climb what we dubbed "Egg Rock" (Pt. 9540-ish). This group found a pleasant ridge walk to the base of Egg Rock and then an estimated 5.1 to 5.2 climb (with solid holds) to the summit (estimated 25 ft climb). Sounded fun, but my OGUL'ed brain needed the true peak so I headed NW descending ~400' into the bottom of Reynolds' Western drainage basin with a partner. The traverse around the peak was short and more pleasant than expected. We finally ascended out of the basin to a saddle to the North of the true summit following a creek (visible on NGEO topo and USFS quads) and then backtracked along the ridge following the Western aspect of Reynolds. A few low class 3 moves to navigate the highpoints in-between the saddle and the summit block, but nothing worth writing about.

Finally, finally, at the base of Reynolds, we followed the obvious bench running SSE toward the summit. This led to a short crack briefly requiring hands and feet and topped out at a relatively flat smooth stone. The primary exposure on the climb is approaching the end of this stone (and the dropoff) and turning left for another 10' class 3 climb to the final summit. As SummitPost and Pete Y. have noted, none of the moves are difficult and the rock is *mostly* trustworthy, but there is an exhilarating view which demands concentration :unibrow:

The final 20' are on a relatively flat "butter knife" edged ridge to the summit. This part reminded me a bit of the top of Agassiz (in desolation). Found the register, not too many parties in there and not too much space on top so I have to believe all parties that summit sign in. All in all, a very fun climb \:D/

To return, we descended the way we should have come up - down steep and relatively loose gullies just to the NORTH of Reynolds (NNW to be more precise). My GPS estimates that we *should* have left the trail at about 4.25 miles for a better approach.

Hope this helps anyone planning to give it a shot :)
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Reynolds Peak via Ebbets Pass PCT (8/28/16)

Post by Vaca Russ »

cefire wrote:Hope this helps anyone planning to give it a shot :)
You know I plan to give this a shot! Please post the pictures.

This is a relatively difficult Ogul Peak and I want to know the easiest route. :lol:

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Will do! I didn't get to bring my camera to this one so I'm waiting for friends to send me their shots. In the meantime, if you want a kml track, I've got one :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please post the pictures.
Yes, please do.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Russ,
Easiest way I thought is from Pete y site

ROUTE A
Drive: See Raymond Peak, Route A, Drive. Drive to the T-Junction signed "Sunset Lakes 1/4 Wet Meadows Trailhead 1" and park off the road. There is room for only a few small cars. High clearance and 4WD vehicles may try to proceed further.
Climb: Take the road going right (south) at the T-Junction marked "097." Pass through a USFS gate after several yards. Shortly pass the site of a shack on the right. In a few feet more, come to a junction and go right. A sign here reads, "Indian Valley Wet Meadows Reservoir 1/2 Mokelumne Wilderness Boundary 1 1/2". Take this road south through Indian Valley. Follow a track on the right (west) side of this valley and pass posted, "no vehicles" spur roads going to the right (west). With a good high clearance or 4WD vehicle, one can drive the 1.2 miles from the regular car parking near the T-junction to a turnaround in a lodgepole forest. Basically follow the main track to here. A slighter track continues south. Follow this on foot as it goes south, then head cross-country for a low saddle at the south end of this valley, navigating through or around to the right (west) of a brushy, boggy meadow, then through forests. From about this low saddle, climb to the left (east) up a juniper laden hillside, and then contour left (east) into the drainage leading up to the west side of Reynolds Peak. One will pass through a myriad of volcanic mud flow formations. Head up eventually for the distant, sharp mass that forms the highpoint. This is somewhat to the right of the perceived head of this drainage. The summit is the leftmost, high crag on the main ridge ahead. The least steep climbing can be made to this saddle between Reynolds Peak and the adjacent peak to the north. The ridge south from the saddle to Reynolds Peak summit is fairly easy walking. Climb up to the left (north) side of the summit mass and climb the class 3 rock up the last 100 feet on the less steep north side. This route narrows to a knife-edge, with considerable exposure. The moves are not bad, but a rope may assure the unsteady. There are good spots for anchoring.

Did this along time ago and was very easy only REALLY hard peak is Jeff Davis! I would not down climb that one but have climbed it twice once solo and once to get Vic and Sue H up it climb up and scare the crap out of yourself and rappel down after the chimney, Reynolds is quite easy!

Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Gazelle wrote:Russ,
Easiest way I thought is from Pete y site

I would not down climb that one but have climbed it twice once solo and once to get Vic and Sue H up it climb up and scare the crap out of yourself and rappel down after the chimney, Reynolds is quite easy!

Kristine
You know Sue and Vic! I met them on Raymond peak.

It is a small world!

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.