Meeting people in the backcountry

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sierra cyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by sierra cyd »

Small world, indeed.
We were doing a 9 day loop which put us on the JMT for a few miles, and we stayed overnight at one of those large dusty sites with metal bear boxes. After we'd set up, two women came and camped right near us. We were a little unenthused that they camped so close by with all that wilderness out there, and they weren't even using the bear boxes (they had cans). But the site was big, so no big deal. One came over and made small talk and begged for some chocolate (we had none), and was very friendly and said they were hiking the JMT. We chatted a bit and then she went back to her spot.

The weekend after that trip, we were at an old friend's wedding in Sonoma, and I was making small talk with a woman standing next to me who was visiting from Wisconsin, and her boyfriend asked what we do for fun and I said "backpacking!" Then the woman chimed in that she and a friend had just done the JMT and we talked about it a bit, and, you guessed it, it was the same woman! I could hardly recognize her from the dusty knit-capped girl in the woods to the blue-dress makeup wearing girl in wine country. I was reeling from the small world feeling.

What are the chances of meeting someone on the trail who isn't even from anywhere near California, then randomly talking to her (out of 100 people at that wedding) and bringing up the subject of backpacking among all things, and having it be the same person???
:)
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

They even had cold beers!

:D Excellent! :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Before I bought the Bearikade, I wanted to see and feel it. The guys from Bearikade said they were backpacking Big Pine Lakes, so I took a chance and got my permit. I had no idea what these guys looked like, all I knew was one guy was Craig. So now that I was on the trail, how was I going to find them? I didn't want to ask every guy "are you Craig?". Good pick up line for a female hiking alone.

I set up camp and found a spot to set my chair up, overlooking 3rd Lake. After awhile I heard a yell and a big bang. I looked over to the area where the noise came from, and saw 4 guys standing by the shoreline with a big black bucket. I knew it was the Bearikade. ( http://community.webshots.com/photo/661 ... 1872WiDLJX ). They were testing it for leaks, and the water was cold and someone dropped it. I walked over, and asked "Are you Craig?" and their mouths dropped. "How did you know?"

So they handed me the Weekender and my reaction was "WHOA! This is light!" That was what they wanted to hear. They let me fondle both the Weekender and the Expedition and I ended up ordering 3 Expeditions. One was for a friend.

Since I was out every weekend I was showing off my new canister, and people were ordering them. So they heard my name a lot.

Then for about 2 years, they gave discounts to people that mentioned "Snow Nymph". I didn't know til I saw it on a forum.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

True about mentioning Snowy's name, and getting a discount. I called them - the Bearikade people - and told them that I was thinking of ordering one - all I did was mention that I was part of this forum, and that I correspond with Snow Nymph here - That's all it took - free shipping and 10% off too. (Just ask them.) I got the Weekender, very happy with it. I bet mentioning the infamous SN's name would even work today too.
Mountainman who swims with trout
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Buck Forester, that is a very cool meeting with Mario in Idaho. I'm not surprised he was a little gruff when he happend upon you. I was up in Idaho a few years ago. My family was was based in Centerville, between Idaho City and Lowman. I was just doing some car camping as I needed to get away at the time. I would read the "Idaho Statesman" newspaper in the evenings at camp. I drove into Garden Valley one morning, to have a big breakfast. A local sidled up next to me at the counter. We got to talking Idaho politics. I seemed to be rather well versed, due to reading the paper. We agreed on everything! We bid goodbye, and left the diner. I went across the street to the local store, to procure some ice. He pulled in right behind me on a motorcycle. One glance at my California plates on the truck, and that was it. No more talking, much less looking at me. I guess the poor guy was thinking he had been had by some Flatlander. Still makes me snort a bit, to this day when I remember that. Seems to be a sort of an Idaho thing.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

markskor wrote: I bet mentioning the infamous SN's name would even work today too.
They said they quit giving discounts, but it probably doesn't hurt to ask. I was in a class (Assertiveness Training) and learned you should always ask, the worst answer you'll get is "no".
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hmmm, been thinking about a Bearikade myself; maybe it's time to test my assertivesness? :)

"I bet mentioning the infamous SN's name would even work today too." No doubt markskor meant to use the word famous as the word "infamous" means "having a reputation of the worst kind" :eek:
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Famous / infamous: Anybody who got out 86 weekends in a row. She snowboards, is a published photographer, lives in Mammoth, I hear she outhikes 20-year-olds, probably wrastles bears too - I hate her,
lol ...
I rest my case.
Mountainman who swims with trout
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

;) Ha Ha, I hear ya, Marksor.
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I agree markskor. I really believe we are mingling with someone who will go down in the history books as few other Sierra adventurers have (seriously).

Shoot, I'm waiting to catch up with SN on the trail so I can get an autograph and a photo!