USFS Slight of Hand?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

USFS Slight of Hand?

Post by Shawn »

Be prepared to empty your wallets if you use any of these facilities.
Last month, the Forest Service quietly released a plan to hand over management of 52 recreation sites throughout the Los Padres National Forest to a private, for-profit concessionaire. Fees would significantly increase at these sites as much as 300% with no increase in amenities. The plan – scheduled to be approved next week – would apply to popular campgrounds, day use areas, and some trailheads in Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey counties.
Rest of the information is here:
http://lpfw.org/a-controversial-plan-to ... mpgrounds/
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: USFS Slight of Hand?

Post by AlmostThere »

Probably because they've been operating at a loss forever, and now the fire has decimated things.

I wonder if Larry will ever work again? He's been at Bottchers Gap for 30 years. The campground was burnt through and probably needs a lot of work.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Looks like they tried to sneak that one by..

I can understand farming out the campgrounds to a concessionaire. The increase in fees aren't welcome, but considering what it costs to car camp some place like El Capitain State Beach, NF campgrounds are still relatively cheap.

The day use thing rubs me the wrong way though, especially when places that were covered by the "Adventure Pass" are being converted to sites where it is no longer applicable. The Adventure Pass coverage is a big reason why I purchase a National Parks pass or whatever they call it now every year..
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

psykokid wrote:...
The day use thing rubs me the wrong way though, especially when places that were covered by the "Adventure Pass" are being converted to sites where it is no longer applicable. The Adventure Pass coverage is a big reason why I purchase a National Parks pass or whatever they call it now every year..
The Adventure Pass is a So Cal thing. The national passes will still be valid.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

dave54 wrote:
psykokid wrote:...
The Adventure Pass is a So Cal thing. The national passes will still be valid.
Yes, but Los Padres is part of the "Adventure Pass" scheme, as well as Angeles, San Bernardino and Cleveland NFs. Part of Los Padres is in SoCal after all.. If the concessionaire is charging a day use fee will the national pass still cover that under the standard amenity fee umbrella? No mention of that in the verbage I read, unless I missed it...
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

psykokid wrote:
dave54 wrote:...Yes, but Los Padres is part of the "Adventure Pass" scheme, as well as Angeles, San Bernardino and Cleveland NFs. Part of Los Padres is in SoCal after all.. If the concessionaire is charging a day use fee will the national pass still cover that under the standard amenity fee umbrella? No mention of that in the verbage I read, unless I missed it...
The National Passes are supposed to remain valid. Unless the concessionaire or the FS tries to get away something underhanded.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

So an America the Beautiful pass works in Adventure Pass areas?
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

robow8 wrote:So an America the Beautiful pass works in Adventure Pass areas?
Yes it does, you can even get a little hanger dealie when you buy the pass to hang it from your rearview mirror. I use mine all the time up at Chantry Flats.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

psykokid wrote:
robow8 wrote:So an America the Beautiful pass works in Adventure Pass areas?
Yes it does, you can even get a little hanger dealie when you buy the pass to hang it from your rearview mirror. I use mine all the time up at Chantry Flats.
Sweet. Where do you get yours?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I haven't used a pass at all in Sespe and they never required them in the Monterey district. They do around Santa Barbara.