Taboose->Cartridge->Dumbbell->CCP-UBC Passes Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose->Cartridge->Dumbbell->CCP-UBC Passes Loop

Post by Cross Country »

My experience was the doing the passes in the reverse of your plan is MUCH better.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did a similar route, except dropped down from Amphitheater Lake to hit the JMT to return. The reason I did that is that I had never been up the "Golden Staircase". It was worth the extra miles and only added on extra day - I camped at the south end of Palisade Lake. If you have not been on this section of the JMT I think it is really scenic, perhaps even more scenic than the off-trail route you are considering.
roland
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by roland »

Hi CC,

Any particular reason for the counter CW direction? Is it easier to go up or down the hard side of a pass?

-r
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I prefer to go up the hard side of most passes. Granted, this is more work, but I am much more stable going up than down, and tend to fall less. The exception is scree that is not too steep. In this case, I prefer going down. On snow, particularly, I really prefer going up. When I traverse a steep snow slope I will naturally go upward - it just works better and I feel much more stable.
roland
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by roland »

Cross Country wrote:My experience was the doing the passes in the reverse of your plan is MUCH better.
Hi crosscountry, could you please elaborate on why the reverse order is preferred?
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

A little late in replying.. but since I did similar this summer ( see post Trip Report Kings Canyon 7/19 to 7/28), I thought I would comment.

Like Wandering Daisy, I went down Cataract Creek and up to Palisade Lakes, and then over Mather Pass instead of UBC. My main purpose for doing this was to climb Mount Sill, which I did. ( I had been to Palisade Lakes before and over Mather Pass). My TR has a picture of the cornice on Cataract Creek Pass so you can see July in a normal year.

My main purpose for commenting though is the number of days. You indicated you want to do it in 5 days. I think this is doable if you do nothing else.
I have one regret from my trip. That is I did it in ONLY 10 days. I wish I took another day to explore more of Little Lakes Valley and Dumbbell Lakes Basin.
I did some exploring in Amphitheater Lakes Basin. This is a wonderful area.. my second time.. and just wish I took another day or two. Of course... I am 60 and perhaps a little slower too!!

One more thing.. on Maverick's comments on Taboose Pass---I started at noon going up in 90 degree heat. I was surprised how dehydrated I got. I thought I drank a lot of water but it wasn't enough.. And on the way down, I did the whole 6000 foot descent in one day and my knees were sore for some time, which is unusual for me.. It is a ball buster pass! both ways.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Totally agree! Longer the better! But then, I fish. A side-trip to Bench Lake, a side-trip to Marion Lake both worthwhile. Lots of great day-hikes from Dumbbell Lakes. I actually did an exploratory afternoon hike up to Catarac Pass to be sure I could go over it and scouted the best route. Also did the day-hike to all lakes above Amphitheater Lake. As for Taboose Pass, I never found the single day drop down very difficult. Going up, camp at the trailhead and start at 4AM (or about half hour before first light). Every time I plan to stop halfway up, I simply go all the way to the top. The trail is well graded and just get into a good pace. By the time it is hot, you will be well above the heat. Plus plenty of streams along the way- just take a dip everytime you pass one.
mike999
Topix Novice

Post by mike999 »

Maybe too late but...

We did most of this in 2015. We spent night 1 on the Taboose Trail at about 10,500' then went to Bench Lake on Day 2. Very easy XC travel across the canyon straight to the old Cartridge Pass trail. There's a section on the north side of Cartridge Pass that looks like a cliff-out from higher up, but when you get down to it you'll see it's not bad. Your first view of the north side of Dumbbell Pass will be shocking, but just boulder hop across the level part then it becomes a (long) slog down. We picked the water ledge because it was hot, so no report on the bypass... There was no snow on Cataract Creek Pass so we could sand ski down a ways - I'm not sure how fun it would be to go up that. When you get to the obvious first spot for a break partway down the pass, walk over to the ledge for an unbelievable view of the lake. We originally planned to go over UBC, but like WD we walked down from Amphitheater Lake and were on JMT for a day. After struggling through the downed tree area within shouting distance of Palisades Creek we stopped at a campsite there. Get a nice early start and you won't pass TOO MANY people as you head up the Golden Staircase - absolutely worth seeing if you haven't already - then through the unreal Palisades Basin and over Mather Pass BY TRAIL which will be a nice little break by then, After you get down into Upper Basin you can look right and see UBC - Upper Basin isn't the highlight of the trip and we were fine with our choice to go the long way around.