San Gabriel Mountain Bear Attack 10/10/16

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: San Gabriel Mountain Bear Attack 10/10/16

Post by maverick »

I've thought that too, but with all the trash I pack out of that place, I'd hate to see how much there would be if they had lockers.

Is this place frequented by rangers at all, have either of you seen any while in the backcountry?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

maverick wrote:
I've thought that too, but with all the trash I pack out of that place, I'd hate to see how much there would be if they had lockers.

Is this place frequented by rangers at all, have either of you seen any while in the backcountry?
I don't think I've ever seen a ranger, but I have seen FS volunteers. They don't even staff the little visitors center at the trailhead anymore.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by WarrenFork »

psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

maverick wrote: Is this place frequented by rangers at all, have either of you seen any while in the backcountry?
I've never seen a ranger off of pavement in Angeles NF. I've seen a couple of volunteer trail crew people here and there but never a ranger proper out on the trail. With all of the $$$ that they collect with the whole "adventure pass" program you'd think that you'd see more improvements both in the front country and the back country as well as enforcement. That's a whole other story though.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Offical CDFW Report:
https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2016/10/ ... ornia-man/
Wildlife officers and animal experts examined tracks and other evidence at the scene and believe that the first bear seen may have been a yearling (approximately 12-24 months old), while the second bear may have been its mother. The CDFW wildlife forensics lab, which analyzed evidence including DNA extracted from saliva on the victim’s clothing, confirmed that the second bear was female.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for that follow-up article Psykokid. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org