Bear Can, What do you like ?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I have received two responses from Tom @ Ursack in the last couple days, he even works on Sundays. Touched bases with him regarding my original TKO. It is conditionally approved as it is solid green and if I use my aluminum insert with it. That is a pain to use when cinching it up. Arrgg! He is quick to put out fires so to speak.

The authorities are supposed to know what to look for.
Piece of cake.
vaughnm
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by vaughnm »

I've used both the Garcia and the Bear Vault. I like the Bear Vault primarily because the opening is larger than the Garcia (and I have big hands). If the Ursack stays approved, I may look at that. (I'm a lightweight guy, and the bear container goes in my pack. Doesn't leave a lot of room).
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

KathyW wrote:If anyone wants a free small Bear Vault that's hard to open or a Garcia, let me know - you can have them for the cost of shipping.
Recieved my Bear vault from Kathy last Friday. I just want to say what a kind and generous offer it was and how much I appreciate it. Thank you very much :nod:
Gary C.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Don't use them. I just sleep with my food under my head and a pile of rocks next to me. If a bear comes into camp we just pelt him/her in the face in rapid fire fashion.

If everybody in the backcountry practiced this method there would be no bear problem!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

:eek: Oh man! I'd NEVER get any sleep!!!

I've got two bearikade canisters and worth every cent I paid for them just for the peace of mind when I go to sleep at night. If a bear comes in to my camp, I know he's not getting anything from me! I can sleep with that ;)!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Cmon4aday writes: “Don't use them. I just sleep with my food under my head and a pile of rocks next to me. If a bear comes into camp, we just pelt him/her in the face in rapid fire fashion.
If everybody in the backcountry practiced this method there would be no bear problem!â€
Last edited by markskor on Tue May 15, 2007 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

cmon4day wrote:Don't use them. I just sleep with my food under my head and a pile of rocks next to me. If a bear comes into camp we just pelt him/her in the face in rapid fire fashion.

If everybody in the backcountry practiced this method there would be no bear problem!

I hope you're not serious!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Yeah SnowNymph, I can't be serious. I was figuratively speaking. I own a bear vault, I like it better than the Garcia, but don't like the bulk or weight. One advantage is it makes for a good seat for around the campfire.

As far as rocking the bears, I did not make this up. This came from Harold Bassey (sp?) who was the head backcountry ranger in SEKI for over 30 years. His philosophy is defend your food. One of the techniques is to throw rocks at them in rapid fire fashion, not just one or two. And if every encounter with humans was this negative, the bears would shy away.
This technique satifies what Marksor is saying about safety. Both bears and people. When bears avoid people, people are safe, and bears don't get pelted.
So remember, "Rock the Bears!.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Cmon, I'm glad you really do use a bear canister! Phew! I completely agree about the rocks -- good medicine for nosy bears. There's a corollary though: if you find the perfect campsite, and next to the obvious place to pitch your tent you find a small pile of pitching-sized rocks ... maybe camp somewhere else! :nod: