2016 kick over cairns thread

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2016 kick over cairns thread

Post by rlown »

Dinkey Lks 2013 028.JPG
Do you mean like this AT? Have at them. Our Dinkey lakes old ranger trap ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

More like the spot where the trail from First Dinkey to Coyote Lake tops the hill into slab, and drunks and small children all decided to mark the trail without really paying attention to the trail... there's about an acre of rock piles, all 5-10 feet apart, all over the hill.

I know that spot you're standing in -- my trail crew works Dinkey, we're going up there this weekend. I don't think those are still there, but if they are.... ;)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

have at them.. Island lake. the big camp to the North.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

fishwrong wrote:Hallelujah, the day is finally here. Life is so good, the only thing left to complain about is people "staking rocks in the woods"..... Pardon me, people "Cairning The Sierra"....

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I hope this poor attempt at humor is taken as intended.
=D> :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

fishwrong wrote:Hallelujah, the day is finally here. Life is so good, the only thing left to complain about is people "staking rocks in the woods"..... Pardon me, people "Cairning The Sierra"....

I am a firm believer that some portion of human nature demands there be an "us" and "them".... The subject can be deeply principled, but often not. Catholics & Protestants, Democrat & Republican, Giants & Dodgers, or those damned "paper" and "scissors" scoundrels who don't understand that "rock" is the only descent choice in life...

And so it is, we have arrived upon the divine test of good vs. evil.... Rock Kickers vs. Rock Stackers... The fate of humanity lies is within your boots...

For me, I'd like to think I'm enjoying my surroundings enough that a few stacked rocks wouldn't detract from my enjoyment of a place, and I'd appreciate there are others who enjoy the same places in their own ways. I'd like to think that, but I also realize I can be a little "contrary" at times, so if you find an odd stack of rocks placed conspicuously on a mountain, please fell free to kick a rock for me.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I hope this poor attempt at humor is taken as intended.
Haha! no, you hit the mark as intended.
"Are you a good witch, or a bad witch"
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

try following the cairns down Star Col. Right to a friggn cliff. I would like to meet the ad wizard who did that work. I don't generally use cairns as an indication of a correct path. For all I know a swallow was carrying a coconut and a rock and dropped the rock on top of another rock. It's not precise enough.
Last edited by rlown on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"so if you find an odd stack of rocks placed conspicuously on a mountain, please fell free to kick a rock for me."

Sounds like the seeds to a hit song.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"try following the cairns down Star Col. Right to a friggn cliff."

I think I'd rather follow the Old Ranger trap in circles. at least I'd know where I was going and where I've been.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

and he brought a classy glass for his beverage. and a mini boom box. great trip!!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Hmmm, walking in circles with a glass of ..... and a boom box. Sounds like dementia.