Taboose->Cartridge->Dumbbell->CCP-UBC Passes Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
roland
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Taboose->Cartridge->Dumbbell->CCP-UBC Passes Loop

Post by roland »

Hello all,

I'm curious has anyone done the following loop: Taboose TH -> Taboose Pass -> Cartridge Pass -> Dumbbell Lakes Pass -> Cataract Creek Pass -> Upper Basin Crossing -> JMT -> Taboose TH?

I am a level 3 backpacker, comfortable with class 2, and my partner and I will by carrying 20lb packs. My last trip took me from Onion Valley over Gardiner pass and Sixty Lakes Col. I did that loop in 4 days. I guess i'm wondering are the aforementioned passes of the same level of difficulty?

Ideally, if someone could furnish me with a gpx track for this route that would be fantastic. I have scoured the web thus far on these passes and i have a good idea of what to expect but it would be comforting to know if somebody has done this same trip in about 5 days.

Best,
-R
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose->Cartridge->Dumbbell->CCP-UBC Passes Loop

Post by rlown »

when are you planning to go? oh yeah, welcome to the HST!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Roland,

Have you seen these:
DBL Pass viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8065
CC Pass viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7981
UBC viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326
I guess i'm wondering are the aforementioned passes of the same level of difficulty?
UBC is the most difficult of the three and more difficult than GP or 60 LC. DBL is easier than CC when there is snow because of the cornice at the top of CC, if no snow, DBL it is more difficult because of the loose talus of the northern side, GP or 60 LC is close to DBL with snow and close to CC without snow, otherwise DBL without, and CC with snow are more difficult.
5 days is doable, if the weather co-operates. Would make it 5 nights for insurance, if you are ahead of schedule, go visit Striped Mtn Basin on the way up to Taboose, on your way out.
Make sure you get a very early start to beat the heat out of OV, camp at Taboose Creek Campground or at the trailhead, if you have a truck, the night before.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
roland
Topix Novice

Post by roland »

rlown wrote:when are you planning to go? oh yeah, welcome to the HST!
good point. Standard time frame for the Sierras next year probably late august/early sept.
roland
Topix Novice

Post by roland »

maverick wrote:Hi Roland,
Thanks Mav (Top Gun anyone?)

I have seen those descriptions. On UBC, I'm wondering if there is any exposure. I'm fine with class 2, but i'll probably be too spooked if any class 3 pops up. Presumably, from the description it's a circuitous route down but class 3 can be avoided.

As an alternative, from Amphitheater lake could i descend Cataract creek and hook up with the JMT at palisade lakes? Avoiding UBC altogether.

Have you seen these:
DBL Pass viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8065
CC Pass viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7981
UBC viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326
I guess i'm wondering are the aforementioned passes of the same level of difficulty?
UBC is the most difficult of the three and more difficult than GP or 60 LC. DBL is easier than CC when there is snow because of the cornice at the top of CC, if no snow, DBL it is more difficult because of the loose talus of the northern side, GP or 60 LC is close to DBL with snow and close to CC without snow, otherwise DBL without, and CC with snow are more difficult.
5 days is doable, if the weather co-operates. Would make it 5 nights for insurance, if you are ahead of schedule, go visit Striped Mtn Basin on the way up to Taboose, on your way out.
Make sure you get a very early start to beat the heat out of OV, camp at Taboose Creek Campground or at the trailhead, if you have a truck, the night before.
roland
Topix Novice

Post by roland »

does anybody have any pics of the west steeper side of upper basin cross?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Added 2 photos of the western side in the pass description link. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
roland
Topix Novice

Post by roland »

wow that was quick. thank you so much! The second pic sets me at ease, but that ramp is imposing.

At the risk of sounding whiny, i am wondering what the grade of that granite slab is. On caltopo plotting a course which minimizes the gradient yields a max grade of ~45 deg.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Easy short class 3 (that is if your comfortable on this type of terrain), looks steeper than it really is, especially with the light load you said you'll be carrying. There may be a straight class 2 alternative, but did not look for one since this was fine for me.

roland
Topix Novice

Post by roland »

got it, thanks so much.