El Capitan in Clouds

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

El Capitan in Clouds

Post by SSSdave »

A 4x5 Provia image I took February 28 this year from the Bridalveil Creek South Loop Road area towards El Capitan. Crudely scanned here with my flatbed and adjusted closely to the transparency. Night before was the coldest snow storm of this weak winter, covering the valley floor with nearly a foot of snow. I'd exposed three earlier sheets along the North Loop Road then stopped here where I set up my 150mm Nikor and frustratingly waited about 30 minutes before clouds finallly began clearing enough for some blue holes. Took a modest insurance shot then waited for something much better hopefully. Sun was intermittently peeking through the passing left to right clouds off to the right, making clouds swirling about El Cap look like they were boiling off in the sun. Actually is was still below freezing with flurries.

Finally a blue expanse to the west moved in with the above shot taken just a few minutes before that ended any more possibly shots because it was already nearly 9am so sunlight on fresh snow would be way too bright. In my above shot, although the light on the south face of El Cap is bright, it was actually diffusely dimmed a fair amount by some clouds. A minute earlier I would have fired off a shot except it was getting direct sunlight. When the streamer clouds began moving across the top of the big rock, I held off actuating the shutter cable release till a cloud moving across the face was behind the top branches of the black oak.

The captured frame has a bright area on the left so I cropped about 1/8 of that side out. Then in order to balance the rectangle frame cropped out about 1/8 of the bottom that showed fresh snow on the ground below the oaks. Likely will process this with a drum scan within a few months and print a bit reduced from my usual LF sizes at about 24x30 inches. ...David
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I saw this on NPN...nice capture Dave!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Niiiccccceeeeee! Thank you.
Piece of cake.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

That's a beauty Dave!
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Awesome! I :heart: Yosemite! Thanx for sharing.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Beautiful! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Wonderful Image Dave love the clouds and the bits of snow clinging to the face of El Cap.
CSF
Topix Acquainted

Post by CSF »

Hi Dave. I saw this on NPN awhile ago, but don't remember if I commented on it. It's a great shot with a hint of mystery about it.