TR - Cottonwood Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MarchingOn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR - Cottonwood Lakes

Post by MarchingOn »

This past weekend 9/30 - 10/2 My wife and another couple spent the weekend at Long Lake. The weekend temps were cold and the wind made it colder. Unfortunately it was not the most pleasant weekend spent out in the Sierras but great friends, good food and the view eased the sting of the winds. Temps were easily in the 30's and with the winds I estimate in the high teens Saturday night, though none of our water froze. At the time, the forecast had snow for Sunday night but seems like that never materialized. Old Army pass was clear and we saw a number of groups coming down while we were hanging out at lakes 4 and 5.

According to a couple of guys we passed on our hike out, winds were forecast to increase through Sunday night. Our night walk up to Unnamed Lake seemed less windy and slightly warmer temps. Probably a better camp location that in the trough of Lake 3.

The "Hot Hands" at the bottom of our sleeping bags kept my wife's and my toes toasty. Worth the little bit of extra weight to help stay warm through the night.

Ice was clearly forming in the stream that flows into Lake 1.

Skies were clear all weekend.

Such cool history scribbled on the shed at Unnamed Lake. Unfortunately we didn't have a pencil to add our names to the list.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - Cottonwood Lakes

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures. Those Hot Hands work pretty well, a nalgeen bottle filled with some nice warm water works really well too. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org