Cairns in Vee Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cairns in Vee Lake

Post by Cross Country »

Everone I read here said that Edith Lake was VERY hard to reach and it is except for one route. The first time I hiked up and out of Edith I ducked about 25% 45-60 minutes) of the way. When I returned the following year I thought I could find the route without close attention to the cairns. I couldn't. After that on my 6 subsequent trips I carefully followed my cairns. The ultimate trip was 15 years after I placed them and only only one was gone. On my route Edith was easy.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I appreciate small ducks and cairns to guide me through portions of trail that have been allowed to revert or otherwise have been poorly maintained--which at this point is probably more than half of all the trails that existed a half century ago. They are certainly less intrusive than the trail itself and can save time and energy if well placed. I remember appreciating them on the hike from Purple Lake up to Ram Lakes, for example, or the old trail from Wood Lake to Deer Lake.

However, now that I carry a GPS I think the utility of ducks will decrease for me. I found it possible to follow old trails and routes that had entirely reverted just by moving right and left to follow the old route on my GPS. And the ability to come here, ask advice for the best route, the best pass, etc. and preset waypoints based upon other people's experiences makes a huge difference.

I agree with those who dislike huge cairns or the needless proliferation of ducks. I find ducks in high traffic areas are always unreliable since all kinds of well meaning people misplace them. But in low traffic areas they can be helpful.
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

I don't see any cairns in those pics. I see one rock on top of another.

How do you know they were left there by humans and not by slides or glaciers?
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by balance »

Cairns are generally not that bad.

The soot and debris and carbon encrusted scars on rocks from fires are worse.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Sounds like a description of our current political campaign. Grin
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963