TR - Minarets sept 23 - 25th

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

TR - Minarets sept 23 - 25th

Post by overheadx2 »

My brother was coming into town and had a pretty tight schedule so we decided to fly to mammoth for a quick 3 day trip out of Devils Postpile. This is a pretty simple trip and commonly done so I won't belabor the details. For many people on this forum this hike is probably a little to easy, but for the rest of us mear mortals looking for some easy cross country travel and epic scenery in a relatively easy 20 something mile hike, this was a great one. We got an early start on Friday and made it to Minaret lake easily. We had time to relax and do some fishing for lots of smaller trout. We had the lake to ourselves except for one other group on the other side of the lake.

That night we worked on some night shots.

The next day we headed over the pass to Cecil and Iceburg Lakes. The use trail was pretty straight forward, but I was glad I had read to bear to the right and take the side trail over. Going up and over was pretty easy but very tedious on the talus coming down.

Our goal for the day was to hit Garnet lake, but that was derailed due to the amount of people on the trail and camped every where. I was surprised at how many people were out. When we spoke with a group headed to over crowded Ediza due to the over crowding at Garnet we decide to get off the trail and hope for the best at Altha. As we were Headed to Altha from Ediza, we happened across a great little lake with great campsites and good fishing, so we stopped there.

The next day we continued on to Altha and Garnet lakes just to get a look.
We then circled back around to shadow Lake and headed for the car at Agnew Meadows. Turned out to be great hike with lots of solitude in a very crowded area.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR - Minarets sept 23 - 25th

Post by cslaght »

Excellent! I love the Milky Way pic!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

What a great way to squeeze in a late season trip. Love the smile even more than the nice size of that rainbow.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Beautiful pictures !!! I like the tent pictures, a one man, two man and four-five man tent? Classic. Awesome scene !!!
Don
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Yeah, I love looking at the picture. It was a fluke that we even ended up there since it didn't seem to have much going for it when I researched it online. It turned out to have very good fishing with bigger fish and plenty of room to set up. Most importantly we got off the corridor and had it all to ourselves. The tents do appear pretty large in the picture, but the two smaller ones are Six moon one mans and the bigger one is a big Agnes Fly Creek 3. The FC 3 barely fits 2 of us at 6'5" and 220#s.