Winter is coming- now what?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Winter is coming- now what?

Post by overheadx2 »

I hiked the Grand Canyon last winter. Great time to go, no crowd and great weather. We went in early February and it got a little cold at night. Dec and late Feb early March seem to be ideal except for the long nights as reported before. A simple loop that i did with my wife is down South Kaibab to phantom ranch campground then up to Indian Gardens campground and out. lots of fun, no crowd and beautiful with snow capped rims.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

...winter camping...
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Coastal hiking! If you watch weather reports, some of the clearest and best weather on the coast is in January. And places like Henry Coe Park- cannot backpack in summer because too hot and no water.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Living in the desert, in the winter the temps cool down enough to do woodworking in my garage. That's my favorite winter hobby. For exercise I like to trail run.
IMG_0034_small.JPG
Last year I bought snowshoes and other winter camping gear and spent a little time in the mountains. I plan to do a little more this year. My brother is trying to talk me into trying ski touring. Maybe a little too ambitious though.
20160319_162448.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

I realize you were looking for alternatives to the Sierra in winter, but I would recommend checking it out. Joshua Tree and Death Valley are nice, but winter in the Sierra is like being in another world.

There are easy solutions to each one of the 'challenges' in winter and the payoffs are epic views, no crowds, no need to carry water etc. My base weight in winter is 10 lbs.

I'm also in SoCal so I started out with some easy overnight snowshoe trips to San Jacinto (via the tram) and then moved on to Piute Pass (the road is always plowed to Aspendell).

Alpine Mike & I did a snowshoe trip over Lamarck Col earlier this year:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -2016.html

From camp on Darwin Bench:
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jgaffney »

+1 on the skiing. You still get to be in the mountains, but you don't have to do all that climbing. Plus, there's usually a beer waiting at the bottom. What's not to like?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

+1 on coastal hiking. I forgot about Catalina. There are a few nice places along the Trans Catalina Trail where you can camp right on the sand:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... trail.html
IMG_0154.JPG
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

We do a lot of winter trips where we just explore the desert with the 4runner, dayhike, and car camp. The possibilities are seemingly endless....lots of desert to explore out there, and after some good rains the desert is absolutely wonderful.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

sparky wrote:We do a lot of winter trips where we just explore the desert with the 4runner, dayhike, and car camp. The possibilities are seemingly endless....lots of desert to explore out there, and after some good rains the desert is absolutely wonderful.
One nice thing about Mohave and Sonora Desert areas are if one has 4WD even without major clearance and good maps, there endless numbers of dirt roads in vast empty regions with fascinating features one can drive out on and easily find seclusion. And as you noted by late winter after good rains, the desert can explode with wildflowers taking on incredibly beauty. However because of the long night hours car camping tends to make more sense because one can more easily do things for a few hours during evenings inside a vehicle given battery power versus just having a headlamp in a tent. And then again, there are significant numbers of small wilderness areas now all over the deserts that one can venture out into.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... 016-3.html
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

Los Padres NF. I'll get one or two Sierra trips in a year, but maybe a dozen in the Los Padres.