food storage in the tahoe/desolation area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: food storage in the tahoe/desolation area

Post by frozenintime »

i was referring to two packs, carried by two parents: a regular backpack (circuit or similar) and a 'baby carrier' backpack (like this: http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/produc ... E_550.html).

the 'baby carrier' also has a some amount of storage space.
but fitting three peoples stuff with a large bear can could prove tough.
hard to say til we try, and i've never even seen one of those osprey's in person.

we will definitely do an overnighter or two first!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You may have to bit the bullet and just buy a larger capacity pack for family trips. I still use my external frame Kelty (a real load-hauler) for family trips with the dog and grandkids.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Everything put in a bear can WILL smell of food. I would never put my tent in it! Or clothing that I would bring inside the tent.
Daisy, all that stuff already has a low level food odor. What's a Sierra black bear going to do, eat my tent?

Despite their keen sense of smell bears aren't always all that smart about detecting food. But I think they're smart enough to not eat a tent.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

In the past two years I've seen two couples on extended trips (the JMT), each carrying a child younger than 6 months. It was fascinating to see how they'd worked it out the logistics. But in both cases the guy had a pretty substantial pack.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

What's a Sierra black bear going to do, eat my tent?
No, but I have seen a friends tent get torn open even though all food and items with smells were in the canister, this happened in Yosemite near Clouds Rest/Sunrise Creek Junction.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I'm not surprised. I've had my car broken into by a bear even though there was no food and it looked clean. I'm not sure what I could have done about that besides take a bus. I mean, I'd used my car to transport food so it no doubt had some low level of food odor. It probably always does.

Oddly enough, the car right next to mine was left alone by the bear even though there was food clearly visible on the front seat. Go figure.

In the backcountry, unless you cook down wind and change clothes and wash with soap and water before bed you'll have some food odor. And even then, what if you belch up something garlicky in the middle of the night?

I just don't think it's a big concern.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

We had that happen to our car too at Lodgepole, 5 or 6 cars got sardine canned that night by the same bear, we had nothing in the car, but the bear associated the cars with food because it has been previously successful at obtaining it from someones car.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:We had that happen to our car too at Lodgepole, 5 or 6 cars got sardine canned that night by the same bear, we had nothing in the car, but the bear associated the cars with food because it has been previously successful at obtaining it from someones car.
So if it's not by smell, just past association, then what's the point of smell-proofing your tent?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

A suggestion for carrying all the gear when backpacking with an infant...

The way we did this was that we packed all the gear into two regular backpacks (we had external frame Keltys, which could really carry a lot), plus, we had a separate baby carrier that could also hold a few essential clothes, diaper change, etc. My wife would take the baby carrier with baby and I would take one of the full backpacks that had at least the tent, more clothes, and some food. We would hike in 3 or 4 miles to camp. After setting up camp, I would head back to the car and get the other full backpack with all the other gear and bring in it. Reverse when leaving. This method meant I had to hike 12 miles, which I didn't mind when I was young. But we could bring in a lot of stuff. It works best if you stay more than one night at that same location and day-hike around. Then you feel like you "got your moneys worth" from all that effort.

-Phil