food storage in the tahoe/desolation area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: food storage in the tahoe/desolation area

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I have done tons of backpacking in Desolation. Bears are not a problem... I have never seen a bear in Desolation. Still, practice good housekeeping. Do not cook right next to your tent. Wash hands and faces before going to bed. Put food (hang, Ursack or bear can) 50 feet or more from the tent.
I too have spent a lot of time in Deso and have never had a problem with bears. I have also spent a lot of time in the human infested Lake Tahoe region and the bear problem is real. I do believe these bears can open tuna cans with a can opener. They are quite civilized. Somewhat like the bears of Yose were in the eighties.

I can remember encountering cigarette smoking, tattooed motorcycle gangs of bears in the eighties in Yose. :nod: HMMMM....or was that what I was told by the federal rangers during my permit briefings? :-k

The bears in the Tahoe region are too prissy to go all the way up to Deso to hang out. Besides, there is no food up there for them.

JMHO,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I have done tons of backpacking in Desolation. Bears are not a problem.
X2
Vaca Russ wrote:The bears in the Tahoe region are too prissy to go all the way up to Deso to hang out. Besides, there is no food up there for them.
X2
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Daisy, Russ and Jeff -- thanks for the feedback. I'm planning a late season trip there, my first (non-winter) trip to Desolation. I figured I'd just take a can but now... maybe not. I've got an ursack that I've used in the Sierra on occasion. I'm confident that it is very bear resistant. But to be honest it's never been tested by a bear. For that matter to my knowledge a bear has only attempted to obtain my food in the Sierra backcountry on one occasion. It was about 30 years ago. The food was hung in a tree. I did not intervene. The bear was simply too large to solve the problem.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

I did two trips into Desolation this year. One from Eagle Falls TH to Fontanillis L. and the other was a loop trip out of Wright L. On both trips I hung my food and had no problems.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

I used to live at Tahoe and packed in Deso all the time. All the bears live in the woods on the edge of town. Like others, I have seen many there, but not in the back country. I am skilled with rope handling and use the tandem suspension method. IF you know how to do it properly, it is bear proof, doesn't snag, and weighs a whole lot less than a canister. You need trees, which Deso has. OTOH, if you don't have the technique down, Yogi and Boo-Boo may get the goodies OR you may get them stuck up high permanently.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

thanks all for your thoughts.

it's interesting that the bears have taken up such solid residence in town, leaving the backcountry relatively empty.
a metaphor for the decline of rural america?...

we may just bring a can anyway. (we own three of them.)

my concern is partially about weight, but more prosaically about volume. i'm just not sure that we would be able to fit everything necessary for three human in one pack + a child carrier (probably the osprey poco) if we brought the can.

i carry a circuit at the moment, and the bv500 fills up a goodly portion of that thing by itself!
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

I spent 7 nights in Deso this summer, and this subject came up repeatedly. My hiking pal always brings a can, I do not.

I have theorized exactly what Tom_H has articulated, that the bears hang out down low where the food is. But that report from Gilmore Lake is somewhat surprising.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

frozenintime wrote:my concern is partially about weight, but more prosaically about volume. i'm just not sure that we would be able to fit everything necessary for three human in one pack + a child carrier (probably the osprey poco) if we brought the can.
I often put non-food items into an otherwise nearly empty bear canister. On really short trips or at the end of a longer trip when food is running low I put almost everything in the can: stove, fuel, spare socks, long underwear, rain gear (if the weather looks good for the day), my sleeping pad, even my tent. It's all gone in there at one point or another. It doesn't completely eliminate the volume issue that rigid canisters create but it reduces it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Everything put in a bear can WILL smell of food. I would never put my tent in it! Or clothing that I would bring inside the tent. Dirty socks? OK. Cook gear that sits outside near the food? OK. Once you put toiletries in the bear can at night, do it every night.

I am confused as to why you have to find room for the baby carrier in your pack. Is not that what you will use to carry the baby while backpacking? Even though the baby carrier may have some food smells, I would just hang it in a tree when not in use, to keep marmots from chewing the straps. In the rare event a bear came around it may smell and lick the baby carrier, but the not likely tear it apart. And if it did, you just would have to carry the baby out in your arms - not that impossible.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

By the way, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you only do an overnight for your first backpack with a baby. Work up to longer trips.