Question about car-camping at Kennedy Meadows trailhead?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Question about car-camping at Kennedy Meadows trailhead?

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,
Does anyone know if car-camping is allowed at the Kennedy Meadows trailhead (Highway 108)? I don't mean at the nearby Baker campground, but rather at the trailhead itself.

I'm leading a backpacking group of a dozen people into Emigrant Wilderness October 14-16 (weather depending). Given that we're a large group, we want to rendezvous at a car campsite the night prior to hitting the trail. Unfortunately, all the nearby USFS campgrounds are reported to close October 10th (i.e. Baker, Deadman, Eureka Valley). Kennedy Meadows Resort is also closing the weekend of October 10. Does anyone have suggestions for us? I recall the KM trailhead across the street from Baker Campground has space for camping, but I don't know if it's legal. I'm also wondering what would happen if we use the Baker campground off-season.

Anyway, thanks for any ideas you may have!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Question about car-camping at Kennedy Meadows trailhead?

Post by maverick »

Ranger (Cindy) at the Summit Station says there is a Trailhead Parking section at the trail where you can park and spend the night before your trip Victor. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

"Dispersed camping" at the Kennedy Meadows TH, and actually all Stanislaus NF THs, is legal for 1 night by permit holding backpackers.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks Mav and FeetFirst for the quick replies. :)
mediauras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mediauras »

Where are you headed that weekend @vhsvhs? I was thinking of hiking out of Kennedy Meadow same weekend, to Granite Dome and the lakes up there.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

wow, thats a large group, please give us all a heads up where you'll are going.
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular

Post by BillyBobBurro »

Eagle meadows trailhead is off of 108 further west and has plenty of room for your group to spend the night. It's a little bit of a drive on dirt but manageable with 2 wheel drive. Granted, I drove it without wet conditions.