Missing person in Yosemite (Unresolved)

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Missing person in Yosemite (Unresolved)

Post by hjldennis »

wandering outdoors and the universe
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Missing person in Yosemite

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
MISSING PERSON: Peter Jackson texted his son on 9/17/2016 saying he was on his way to Yosemite. His vehicle was found at White Wolf campsite #58, and his site was paid for until 9/21/2016. Jackson is believed to have gone on a day hike from his campsite and never returned. Jackson is known to do moderate to strenuous hikes around 5 miles in length. It is unknown when he left or which direction he headed. Jackson is a 74 year old male that is 5 feet 10 inches and 155 pounds. He is in excellent physical condition with no medical concerns. It is unknown what he is wearing or what gear he has with him.

If you have any information regarding this individual, or were staying in the White Wolf Campground, and/or hiked the trails leaving from White Wolf between September 17 and today, please contact 209/379-1926 during business hours, or Yosemite Dispatch at 209/379-1992 after hours.
Attachments
14440969_1107616372619977_3759670957004423636_n.jpg
14440969_1107616372619977_3759670957004423636_n.jpg (12.03 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Search has been suspended.

Yosemite NPS:
Due to a lack of new clues, and incoming inclement weather the Jackson search has been placed in a limited continuous mode as of October 2, 2016. This means that active searching in the field has ceased, however any clues that are developed will be followed up on by investigators or search teams depending on the type of information gathered.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
559Hunter
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by 559Hunter »

How sad. Hopefully they can still find him but chances are slim now. This is a good reminder that you should always leave a description of your plans with a loved one. Even if you are headed into a familiar area. Several years ago I got turned around in the Kaiser Wilderness and had to spend an unexpected night out there. Luckily I left a note with my wife that had a detailed description of the route I planned on taking and SAR was able to locate me rather easily after I lit a signal fire. Since then I take better precautions before I venture out. I always hate hearing these stories. I can't imagine the helplessness his family must feel.