2016 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mokelumne Fire 8/30

Post by maverick »

- The fire grew 133 acres and is now at 352 acres with moderate fire behavior and minimal smoke production. The fire burnt around a large granite face which accounts for a large portion of the 133 acre growth.

- Crews will continue to secure the western edge of the fire with assistance of the helicopters, maintaining MIST tactics, and maximizing the use of natural barriers.

- The crews will be using helicopter bucket drops to minimize fire spread. The helicopter is dipping from a nearby man made reservoir outside of the wilderness.

- The fire has progressed east and is now burning into a larger brush field. Firefighters are working along the ridge line to maintain a low intensity fire in the timber while allowing a backing fire to consume the large brush field.

- The following trails and campgrounds may be impacted by smoke as the fire progresses through a large brush field: Jackson Canyon, Frog Lake, Lake Valley (Camp Irene), Underwood Valley Trailhead (TH), Woodchuck TH, Sandy Meadow TH., Hermit Valley, Pacific Valley, Lake Alpine, and Camp Irene.

- This fire is being managed to protect, maintain, and enhance resources while being allowed to function in its natural ecological role.

- No evacuations or closures have been issued at this time. The public is advised to avoid this area due to hazardous conditions.
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5000/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2016 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Post by SSSdave »

Current smoke map and forecasts are now actually the best I've seen all month. There are still fires but they are all burning at lower levels without widespread smoke across the state. Here in San Jose, minor smoke has still been coming up from the Soberanes Fire each day. Generally the Sierra Nevada is looking good. The following is a good link I use for evaluating air quality in Owens Valley:

http://www.gbuapcd.org/data/index.htm

Much better than for much of August as some storms and breezy weather days ago have finally scoured all the trapped air out.

However it will be windy, especially Saturday with Sunday just breezy. But then Sunday night will quickly calm with Labor Day Monday looking unusually calm even along Sierra Crest areas. Thus I might drive up to Tioga Pass Saturday afternoon and work some areas for pond reflections and fall leaf dwarf bilberry/arctic willow Monday morning.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Just got back from Mammoth Mountain, Silver Lake, Rush Creek Trailhead, Waugh Lake area, Sept. 1 through Sept. 8. No signs of smoke the whole time. Mammoth residents say smoke has been mild all year.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just got back from Sabrina Basin, Sept. 6-11. Basically little if any smoke in the mountains; hazy in Owens Valley. Lots of helicopter activity- not sure what that was all about.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Hiked out of Alta trail head to Tamarack over labor day weekend.V ery light haze, but overall no smoke.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Owens River Fire 9/17

Post by maverick »

Update as of 9/18:
The Owens River Fire is estimated to be 6,000 acres and 20% contained. Today, crews continued to develop and strengthen containment lines. Hot, dry conditions and wind increased fire activity in the afternoon. The fire grew along the northeast flank and interior islands of fuel also burned actively. Fire crews tied the fireline from the Owens River Fire to the recent Clark Fire, which will provide an effective control line for a portion of the northern flank.
Tonight, crews will continue line construction, building out from the south and west flanks to further contain the fire. These evening operations are particularly effective when the fire “lays down” at night with cooler temperatures and allows fire crews to more safely respond to the fire. Crews will monitor the southwest flank to ensure that lines hold and continue protection of ranches and developments in the area.

Four uninhabited outbuildings and several pieces of heavy equipment were destroyed during the initial response yesterday.

The fire is burning along Owens River Road near Clark Canyon, east of Highway 395 in sagebrush and Jeffrey pine, and annual grasses.

The Big Springs Campground, Clark Canyon (a popular climbing area), and nearby ranches and developments have been evacuated. The Owens River Road and the Whitmore Springs Roads are closed and visitors are advised to avoid the Bald Mountain Road as well. For your and fire crew safety, please avoid the fire area.

Smoke is visible from locations throughout the Highway 395 corridor including Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, and Lee Vining. It will settle in the valleys at night under the cool inversion layer.

There are 9 hand crews, 48 engines, 3 air tankers, 7 helicopters, 3 dozers, and 6 water tenders assigned to the fire. There are 483 people assigned to the incident.

The cause of the fire is under investigation but appears to be human-caused.
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5034/

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Crown Fire in Sierra National Forest 9/15

Post by maverick »

The Crown Fire, naturally ignited by lightning in early September and discovered on September 15, 2016, it has burned approximately 51 acres of the John Muir Wilderness in the vicinity of Crown Valley on the Sierra National Forest. The fire is burning within the footprint of the 2008 Tehipite Fire. Fire behavior has been low to moderate as it consumes the dead fuel left behind after the 2008 fire. The Sierra National Forest expects that the fire will grow moderately in size, and visitors to the wilderness may experience periods of dense smoke.
Due to the abundant standing dead trees left after the 2008 fire, and the hazard they present to firefighters working in the area, firefighters are using the existing trail system to contain the fire east of Crown Meadow. The Sierra National Forest anticipates closing both Forest Trail Number’s 29E03 and 29E31. Tehipite Valley will remain accessible via trail 29E45. Forest visitors should be cautious if hiking in the vicinity of Johnson Meadow, and contact the Sierra National Forest for updates about conditions and trail closures.
:(
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5039/

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Crown fire 9/25/2016

limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Anybody know what the smoke is like in Tehipite Valley from the Crown Fire? In a little over a week I'm going into Tehipite and fishing downstream for a few days. I never do great fishing when it's smokey.

Thanks in advance, inciweb hasn't been updated in a while. The above picture is helpful but when the wind shifts I'm worried it could concentrate down on the kings.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Sacata Fire in Sierra NF 10/11

Post by maverick »

InciWeb:
The Sacata Fire started October 11th at 1 pm in the area of Sacata Ridge, north of Pine Flat Reservoir. The fire has grown to 1,502 acres as of 6 pm on October 13th. Firefighters will continue their night operations staying on the line throughout the night and continue working tomorrow morning. The Sierra National Forest along with their cooperators are currently battling this fire. A type two team will begin arrive today, and take charge of the fire October 13th at 9 am.

The Fire is currently being staffed by 259 personnel. More resource will arrive tonight and tomorrow. More information will be available after 6 am on October 13th.
http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5060/