Tragic Student Drowning; A Separate Student dies on Climb

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Tragic Student Drowning; A Separate Student dies on Clim

Post by Cloudy »

Life is about choices and luck. I am 58 and have been hiking for almost as long as you. I have made some choices that but for luck, would have ended my earthly existence. As some say, "There but for the grace of God (go I)". Peace to the both of them.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Tragic Student Drowning; A Separate Student dies on Clim

Post by giantbrookie »

Cloudy wrote:Life is about choices and luck. I am 58 and have been hiking for almost as long as you. I have made some choices that but for luck, would have ended my earthly existence. As some say, "There but for the grace of God (go I)". Peace to the both of them.
Yes this has been a very sad week in the Sierra. Not only did we lose these two young people, but a 50-year-old professor at Pomona was killed in a fall off of Deerhorn.

It is so true about choices and luck. I had some close calls in the High Sierra that could have easily ended my life at ages 18, 19, 31, and was in some fairly high-risk spots (without a fall or other mishap) at ages 18, 20 and 28. Now, at age 57, I see things through the eyes of a parent and a teacher (a professor in the CSU system like kpeter) and these recent tragedies hit close to the heart as I think of this from the viewpoint of losing a child, student, or colleague. Again, this is a really sad week in the Sierra and my heart goes out to family and friends close to the deceased.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;