TR: SF Bull Lake Creek loop, Wind Rivers 8/1-7

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Viper
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR SF Bull Lake Creek loop, Wind Rivers 8/1-7

Post by Viper »

Thanks for the great report, WD. Your description brings back fond memories of my time in the Wilson Creek Lakes area and Paradise Basin in the mid-90s, mapping the geology and collecting rock samples. Some of our best fishing was at "Eric Lake," which shows as unnamed on many maps but is named on older USGS maps. My thesis advisor, who was a master fly fisherman and coincidentally named Eric, seemed to have success with every cast in that lake.

I hope to make it over Kegavah Pass someday and climb some of the peaks on the west side. And I definitely remember the road up to the St. Lawrence trailhead -- did it many times in my wife's Honda Accord if you can believe it!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for your comments. I have not succeeded in getting many "Sierra-holics" here to read these reports on the Wind Rivers (or at least to make comments).

A fellow I know mapped a quad in the Wind Rivers for his PhD in geology way back in the 1960's. There also is a geology field camp (U of Missouri) in Sinks Canyon near Lander. The geology is so spectular in Wyoming because it is so exposed- so little vegetation.
flyfisher8
Topix Novice

Post by flyfisher8 »

A question for Wandering Daisy- I am hoping to visit the south fork bull lake creek area next august via the St Lawrence TH to Hatchet Lake and up and over Windy Ridge thru Windy Gap. Is this route feasible? What is the "gully route"? On the planned trip I would like to visit the Secret lakes area , then the Headwater lakes and eventually climb over photo pass, Odyssey col and visit the lake Heebeecheeche drainage but again have to negotiate Windy ridge first. Your feedback would be much appreciated.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Send me your e-mail in a PM and I can send some information.
fish4gold
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fish4gold »

Oh my word!!!! Congratulations on a tremendous cutthroat!!!!!
I think this is an area I have wanted to go to and fish for a long time, but have only considered doing so from the west side. My map doesn't show the reservation much at all. What map do you use?
You're right. I have glanced at the Winds from time to time, but not read these TR's, and now I am sorry!
Thank you for an incredible TR!!!!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I am glad you liked the trip report.

Not sure if you are aware, but I have written a guidebook of this area. In fact, I am just now in the process of finishing the second edition. It should be out by March. All this travel I did this summer on the Reservation was for the guidebook update. I am not currently selling the old guidebook because the new one will be out soon. When it is done I will reactivate my web site where I sell.

You can always catch fish in the Reservation. Getting dinner in under an hour is quite easy. Some areas just have bigger fish than others. Unlike here in the Sierra, backcountry lakes are regularly stocked in Wyoming and on the Reservation.