Beware: Rodent Damage at the Lone Pine Campground Parking

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Beware: Rodent Damage at the Lone Pine Campground Parking

Post by Bluewater »

Please be aware that if you use the long term parking area at the Lone Pine Campground (while parking is limited at Whitney Portal) the local rodent population might chew through the hoses and wiring in your vehicle.

I parked in the long term parking area at the Lone Pine Campground from July 24th - August 14th. This is a photo of where they entered the engine of my Toyota 4-Runner through the air filter. They went on to feast on the internal wiring. It cost $750 to fix:(

I have heard of this happening in Mineral King, but never in this location.
IMG_0311.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Beware: Rodent Damage at the Lone Pine Campground Parkin

Post by maverick »

$750 :eek:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Beware: Rodent Damage at the Lone Pine Campground Parkin

Post by robow8 »

I heard on the news about a class action lawsuit against, I believe, Toyota for using soy based materials for wiring harnesses.