TR: Backpacking Yosemite HSC Loop 8/5-8/11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR: Backpacking Yosemite HSC Loop 8/5-8/11

Post by sambieni »

ERIC wrote:Is that an old Mountainsmith pack, circa 1990's?
I think you're speaking of the green pack w yellow pull in one of the photos? That is my buddy's pack - an old Dana Design Terraplane pack. Good pack, but a touch outdated features' wise.

Mine is in orange - Arc Teryx Altra 65. Super comfy pack, but on the heavy side. May upgrade to an Osprey Exos or similar next summer.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

sambieni wrote: I do care about the illegality of Cloud's Rest assuming that is the rule. I received very clear info on this forum (find the thread if you wish) that indicated it was acceptable assuming good weather, same on other forums, plus when we gave rough itinerary to Rangers getting our permits they did not say anything. The Ranger after the fact was the first who very clearly told us it was out of bounds. We asked about it and he explained it clearly. I would not do again and I would not encourage others to do so. I posed the question here given the very mixed info received from variety of sources, I was curious what others may say. I am still grateful for my an amazing night and will leave it at that.

Water - I will almost never drink straight from the source; not a risk I want to take. My filter was like new with maybe 30 liters under its belt before the trip. Thankfully backcountry.com is taking it back since it seems to be a warranty issue. And I intend to simply replace w same filter because I love the system. Plus I will continue to bring a backup system of some kind as well.
The thing is, the rangers don't even agree on the rules in the park. I generally assume that if the peak is popular, there will be a ban on camping on it -- the goal is to facilitate public use while preserving the wilderness and that's pretty darn hard to do, as we all can see, and there are similar issues in Sequoia and Kings Canyon -- there is for example nothing posted anywhere about whether one can overnight on Alta Peak. One year, we got a permit and the issuing ranger was down with it -- no problem. The following year we were chewed OUT, big time, for the plan to spend the night in the light of the super moon on the peak top.

I think it is hard to see the consequences of our actions in these matters -- we are but a handful of backpackers and pass through these spots one group at a time, without awareness of the thousands who have gone before or come after -- the rangers who patrol have the best awareness of what's really going on, and they aren't able to address everyone who goes. Rangers behind desks have different ideas of the rules. Some are volunteers. I have corrected rangers at the wilderness office in Yosemite when they are dispensing blatantly incorrect information -- also camp hosts. The host in Bridalveil campground insisted that bear spray was "okay" -- it is most definitely against the regulations, which can be read on the website, but the paranoid hiker was of course going to believe the host instead of me.

Things like camping restrictions are not always written down, so I don't wonder that they are not clear to everyone. And many are going to think asking forgiveness is preferable to asking permission, or are just going to do what they want anyway, because they really don't give two figs about those fragile ecosystems, they just want their vacation the way they want it, who cares about anything or anyone else. I'm glad to hear you aren't one of those. I try not to be as well. It isn't a popular stance, but I tend to view public lands as a public responsibility, which is not at all the attitude of so many others who think "my tax dollars paid two bucks of the park budget, therefore I can do what I want out there without consequences."

As for water -- yeah, I filter/treat/boil all the time. Another thing people like to assume. I know too many who've had Giardia to not be careful.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Completely hear you.

I would have assumed Tuolomne Meadows permit center would be the most up-n-up. The Ranger in the field was surprised nobody said otherwise given who permitted us (he knew the person very well). Looking back, I think it was just too short of an interaction as she just updated from Glen Aulin to Glen Aulin pass thru and sent us on our way even as we mentioned our rough itinerary. My guess is she didn't really gather what we said - too busy w all the permits coming/going I def was not looking to do wrong and seek permission later - Ranger asked how our trip was and where we went as he reviewed the paper permit to survey the Vogelsang backpacker's camp. So as an excited backpacker I told him and was super excited doing so. I knew the 100 foot trail/water rule, but on this forum (and elsewhere) was told we could sleep up there - from people who do not appear as those looking to be poor stewards. I also understood that if the trail prevented you from extending beyond 100 feet for your camp (ie just the scenario on a knife's edge) that it does not hold up. Any rate, the ranger was cool and realized our clear admission indicated we mis interpreted the rules. But he definitely started a line of questioning beforehand to ensure we didn't flout other rules/do other stupid **** on the trip - namely bear canister related. He realized quickly it was an honest mistake and we clearly didn't intend to counter the rules. He wound up being really cool about it all. He said don't go facebook about it and to let folks know the rules who follow you. That's what I am doing now.

I def. hear you about folks' urgency on wanting vacation how they want it irrespective of the permits/rules, etc. I think this speaks in part to the under-resourced parks/service and inability to cope with onslaught of people. Makes it easier for folks to ignore / flout things. But remain amazed to know folks flout bear canister rules in particular. We were warned someone night before ignored it and had site ravaged by bears and each camper facing $5K fine!

You will be happy to know the permit center gave a GREAT "rules" talk prior to us all getting/updating our walk up permits. It was a group of 40 or so backpackers listening intently. He was VERY clear about bear spray banned in Yosemite/CA parks.

During my time living overseas years ago in developing world, I had giardia more than once and also got dysentery. No way do I want to experience anything close to that again. Filtering it is!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Will get clarification on this issue from the Yosemite Wilderness Manager, Ed will have a conclusive answer. It has been at least a decade or maybe even two since my last night on top of CR, there was a time when folks spent the night on top of HD.
Personally I am not aware of any restrictions on camping around/or at the summit of CR and would have definitely not recommended it if I have, because of its popularity Yosemite NP should post any such restrictions on their web page and not leave it up to folks behind the desks to remember to remind backpackers.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

I had the same problem with my gravity filter, but I learned that it isn't clogged with dirt, but air. Every time you put it away it fills with air which clogs the filter tubules. Simply get a small amount of water in your clean water bag and then roll it up and then compress that water back through as a back flush. The dirt and bubbles will be pushed out of the filter toward the dirty bag and the filter will work like new every time. If you need to, google back flushing gravity filters in the back country.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

THanks. I definitely backflushed the filter daily in the field once it started slowing and it helped, but never really solved the problem. There really seems be something wrong w the filter given how slow it is.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by chulavista »

The exception to the 100 ft away from trail/water rule only applies to well established campsites if terrain presents no other options. Then there is a 25 ft ban with no exceptions. There are no well established campsites at Clouds Rest, so you are ok to camp there as long as you are 100 ft away from the trail (obviously not on summit proper).

I always interpreted (maybe incorrectly) the rule to not apply in Winter/Spring because technically the snow being camped on is a water source and there isn't really a trail. In any case, common sense goes a long way here. I don't think anyone cares if you are 80 ft vs 100 ft from trail as long as you are out of sight.

My hiking crew on occasion has given particularly obnoxious offenders wake up screams.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have not forgotten about this, still trying to get clarification on this matter by someone who has the final word on it.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is Yosemite's answer:
No camping is allowed within 100 ft of all trails and water sources, since there is a designated trail on Clouds Rest, one cannot spend the night on or near the summit proper because you would be violating the 100 foot rule.

sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Good to know.
There are a number of bloggers out there who have bragged about their stays on Cloud's Rest and I met fair number on trail who had done it or were considering it. Perhaps they should be explicit in issuing permits beyond simply the 100 foot rule; I'd venture w social media it may only gain in popularity otherwise.