Passes south of Four Gables?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Passes south of Four Gables?

Post by Sierra Miguel »

mike999 wrote:over Four Gables Pass then south of the crest that is west of Hanging Valley, more or less straight down to Lower Horton
We'll actually probably go right up Peak 12808 to Four Gables, instead. Supposedly all class 2.
mike999
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by mike999 »

Not a bad idea. I've never been to the top of Four Gables anyway...I can add it to my off-the-run peaks list. From staring at caltopo the route to Hanging Valley then down the switchbacks to Horton seems like a lot of possibly unnecessary trail time, and a TON of unnecessary elevation loss - something that would be grinding away in the back of my mind on Day 2.

I find I spend a lot of time puzzling over details before each trip, and the details are usually obvious once they're staring back at you.
mike999
Topix Novice

Post by mike999 »

Sierra Miguel, We go in August 15th and come out Aug 22. If that's before you go I will post info on 12808 etc asap when I get back.
seejay317
Topix Novice

Post by seejay317 »

We just did it a few days ago. It's doable, but lots of talus on the approach. If we were heading back, I think we'd just go over Paiute Pass instead. Full report here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15062