Ban the Hip Belt

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Ban the Hip Belt

Post by balance »

Consider the biomechanics. The hips are designed to carry weight much more effectively than the spine. The comparison is not even close.

Peace.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

I can barely accommodate my lunch in the bleeding edge trend of minimalist volume packs! Ok so I exaggerate, but find a minimal day XC ski pack size for the eastern Sierra is about 30L, due to the volume of warm gear, and weighs almost 15#, due to additional safety items and snow/ice tools/equipment. And that just covers the potential of a forced, uncomfortable, overnight bivouac. And that pack has a hip belt to keep the load from shifting while under way.

If I were just doing an overnight "slumber party" style hike, the small packs would suffice. Due to the distance from home of my venues, however, my trips involve longer stays in the BC. And while I am camping I prefer to enjoy the comfort of warm layers while hanging out at night and early morning, a stool (bear canister) good food, and other "luxury" items the minimalists do without. If your pack fits properly, one's capacity and comfort is more a function of conditioning, and eliminating excess body mass. Of course those who are fixated on maximum miles have a different agenda, and sacrifice all for the sake of miles. Twenty mile days are had at the cost of passing up too many great opportunities to soak in the scenery, smell the flowers, do little fishing, and still have time to enjoy the finest R&R possible on planet earth: an afternoon nap next to a Sierra lake, stream or peak top.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

after reading this thread I am goign to look into external frame packs haha
I havent owned one since i was a teenager
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I still have my REI external pack (85 cu in?) I bought in 1985.
Interesting you brought up a Hobbes post. I just chatted with him last night.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have a Tioga external. It's my go to heavy lift pack.
I also have a ULA. Yet to be tried out. ULA has a hip belt. Covered in dog fur, but still looking forward to it. My 12" bearikade fits fine.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

rlown wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:23 pm I have a Tioga external. It's my go to heavy lift pack.
Yea, @ rclown , that pack is a real beast! The Kelty Mountaineer pack frame used by the Tioga was a real gear hauler, indeed, among the best of all time, and lightest of the heavy hauler designs.

My on-trail gear hauler for long hikes is the sister of the Tioga, the Sonora. Same frame and shoulder/waist harness, the principal difference being the Sonora bag doesn't extend to the bottom of the frame, instead leaving that open as a spot one would lash their sleeping bag directly to the frame, as was a common practice back in the day. I've removed the sack on occasion for heavy or bulky hauls, as a hunter may carry out. I found I could tolerate loads heavier than what the grommet eyes in the shoulder straps could support, so resorted to having the local luggage repair folks reinforce these points with leather gussets. The heaviest load I ever carried was a full beer keg @ 160# to Dusy Basin. Don't ask why...

One can still obtain replacement shoulder/waist harnesses from Kelty - these items are intended for Kelty's current product line, but fit the old school mountaineer frame and are ergonomically superior to the original straps that came with the the Sonora and Tioga. Kelty does not carry replacement sacks for these packs, but I have been able to find replacements a few times after the pack cloth became sun brittled, by purchasing lightly used packs through eBay for surprisingly good prices.

Ed
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

I feel like necroposting in an attempt to defend heavy packs in a forum post originally touting the virtue of bringing less is sort of...

Just unnecessary.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Lenier wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:46 pm I feel like necroposting in an attempt to defend heavy packs in a forum post originally touting the virtue of bringing less is sort of...

Just unnecessary.
Duly noted. But it seems the HST moderators may have policies that differ from your expectations, generally leaving threads open unless they get acrimonious.

The title of this thread, Ban the Hip Belt is provocative, certain to get a rise from those who disagree. I surely would expect to raise some hackles if I posted a topic with Ban Trekking Poles, as the lead-in for a thread touting the virtues of using a UL hiking staff. In any case everyone else seems to be having fun, and regardless of the date this thread was created, the topic is still relevant in the world of pack designs

Ed