Wkend backpack up Haiwee Pass to Round Mtn

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Wkend backpack up Haiwee Pass to Round Mtn

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Did a little backpack to get warmed up for the season. Different country, lots more wildlife - we saw lots of deer (timid ones, so they must not see too many people), a bear and a cougar! Unfortunately, no good pics of those. :(
Pics here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558904731pXcRWR
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Trailtrekker;

I think if I ever saw a cougar, I would probably forget I had a camera, where I was, and who I am, just from the sheer awe (and maybe a little healthy fear :eek: ) of seeing it!!! :nod:
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

yeah Trekker- that's exactly what happend! John was climbing up a rock pile near camp- we were just looking around before setting up- and he was 3 feet away when he saw it- all I heard was -"uh uh uh - Sooz- big cat, big cat !!!!!" By then it got up and slowly slinked down the other side of the rocks, then *poof* gone down the canyon. I did see it's big fat tail and got to see it completely but it was waaaaaaaay down the canyon. I got a pic, but you have to magnify it a bunch of times and then can barely make out a cat head- (gotta save for a 18-200 lens!). Still very exciting.
Haiwee
Founding Member

Post by Haiwee »

Haiwee pass is my favorite east-side entry (as anyone who notices my forum name might surmise). The several times I've hiked it I've never seen another hiker -- and at my age I prefer solitude, particularly on my solo hikes.
Check out my blog for my take on politics, environment and the outdoors: http://www.haiwee.blogspot.com
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Very cool Sooz!

Is this south of Kennedy Mdws?
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Haiwee- Yes, very nice and quiet out there- we did see one set of footprints in front of us, though. There was no car at the TH except ours. Turns out the person was on Round Mtn for lunch that day. He was the first sign in for the year , we were the second.
Skibum- Hi there! No, it is North of Kennedy Meadows, and just south of Olancha.