Columbus Day Weekend @ 6k ft

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
alc101ma
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Columbus Day Weekend @ 6k ft

Post by alc101ma »

Thinking of a trip that weekend, possibly to Deso. The past couple of years I really wouldn't have worried about snow too much... but just saw that we got some white stuff at 12k ft this week.

I'm not so much concerned with the temps as the possibility of getting decent snow. What do you guys think?
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Columbus Day Weekend @ 6k ft

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I never worry too much about Desolation Wilderness. It is really small, trails are good so bailing out in snow is not a huge task and elevations are lower. For a wilderness, Desolation is really "civilized". Plus, trailheads usually remain open, unlike Sonora Pass, where I once parked my car only to have the road closed while I was on the trip. Thankfully, the road reopened by the time I got out. Any huge storm will likely be forecast and the Columbus weekend is just 3 days, not more than a week. Short term forecasts are pretty accurate.
alc101ma
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Columbus Day Weekend @ 6k ft

Post by alc101ma »

Thanks, Daisy. I'll be entering from the east side where there are major roads that are well maintained. I did an early season trip from a west side TH once and left a day early due to snow coming down. I was really worried about the long mountain road between the TH and the highway being snowed in and getting stuck!
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp