Water in September?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Water in September?

Post by punchcard »

Sorry. One more question before I head out Sunday morning. I'm doing a variation of the Big SEKI Loop https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/73686/

And wondering if the creeks will have water or just the lakes. Would you pack an extra 2L platypus?

Thanks!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Water in September?

Post by longri »

I always carry a 2L platypus since along with a 1L bottle it allows me to have enough for dinner, breakfast and a liter to start the day. While this is usually just because I'm lazy and don't like getting out of my sleeping bag to go down to the lake/river/tarn/mud hole, it also allows me to hike a little ways to dry camp farther away from water.

The other reason I carry one is so that I have a backup in case my bottle gets lost (it's happened) or damaged. And occasionally in the Sierra I want more than a liter. It's rare but it happens.

Some of the last part depends on your hiking speed. If you're slow you'll need more capacity.

Looking at your loop my first impression is that it takes the already way-too-low-and-in-the-forested-canyons JMT and adds to that unfortunate aspect of the mule trail. On the plus side it's a loop so transportation is cheaper/faster/easier. And the permit would be easier to get too. I don't know how hard it's going to be to get a JMT permit in the future but I would recommend hiring an attorney.

By the way, I hiked 91% of the JMT last week (I skipped the Yos-TM part). On one day I counted 135 people and that wasn't the busiest day. Crowded in one sense, and impact on the wilderness is a certainty -- but (just about) everybody was smiling.