How long for mail from Yosemite Valley to reach Tuolumne?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dharter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

How long for mail from Yosemite Valley to reach Tuolumne?

Post by dharter »

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
Doug
Doug
coasterjim
Topix Novice

Post by coasterjim »

Doug,

It's about 24 miles on the PCT from Happy Isles to TM. I did this in 2 days back in 2004.

Jim
coasterjim
Topix Novice

Post by coasterjim »

Um.. disregard my reply. I missed the word "mail" :D
dharter
Topix Acquainted

Post by dharter »

No problem. Actually, I looked up the phone number and called the post office in Yosemite. Mail goes up to Tuolumne every day. So, at worst case, it should arrive no later than the following day.
Doug
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Doug,
I don't know how critical this is to you, but the way the mail system works around here is the hub and spoke system. I suspect it works the same way in Yosemite. In other words, the mail from the valley would go to, say, Fresno and be sorted/routed. Since your mail is bound for the eastern sierra, my guess is that it would then go to SF or LA before getting to TM. So it could take a while to get to TM. Just something to consider if you're really counting on your mail being in TM by a certain date.
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Since Toulumne Meadows has the same zip as Yosemite valley, it should be handled as local mail. Just be sure that mail is deposited in the local slot, or at the stamp window. Otherwise the mail goes to Stockton, CA. , sorted, then returned to Yosemite.
coasterjim
Topix Novice

Post by coasterjim »

will_jrob wrote:Since Toulumne Meadows has the same zip as Yosemite valley, it should be handled as local mail. Just be sure that mail is deposited in the local slot, or at the stamp window. Otherwise the mail goes to Stockton, CA. , sorted, then returned to Yosemite.
Ah, the good ol' "local" slot. I didn't know those still existed.