Let people know (where you're going)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Let people know (where you're going)

Post by Shhsgirl »

Even though I have a Delorme InReach and will be checking in with them every night, I filled out the Reconn form and left it with our adult children. Stuff happens.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Even though I have a Delorme InReach and will be checking in with them every night, I filled out the Reconn form and left it with our adult children. Stuff happens.
:thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Phil_z
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Phil_z »

This is a good thread. Sorry for jumping it as a newbie, but I wanted to add something:

We leave our itinerary with a couple people and an easy to find copy in the car. We always include worst-case scenarios for bailouts, route deviations, cross-country, or foreseeable delays. We also use the absolute drop-dead date for calls to be made, and that number to call if it comes to that. I don't care if my GF or anyone else can decipher a word of it, I write it for SAR to understand, and I leave specific instructions to do nothing more than recite it, verbatum.