TR: JMT Spring Traverse 2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: JMT Spring Traverse 2016

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

Thank you so much for the extended trip report. It made for a great read, and gave me some great ideas!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

JMT Spring Traverse 2016

Post by Hobbes »

My wife needs to attend a multi-day settlement conference/Fed court hearing in Reno at the end of the Sept. (Tribal land real estate development deal gone south involving the BIA.) So, I'm going to fly up when it's finished so that we can take a mini vacation in Tahoe. We haven't been there for 3 years - I spent an entire summer living out of a pup tent both in Deso and Meeks beach ('natch) after graduation decades ago - and we used to go at least every-other-year.

Anyway, I was cruising around googling things to do around the north shore and came across this PCT blog of a person who lives there. I was looking at her Sierra photos and thinking the images looked very familiar. In fact, her group exited via Dusy to re-supply over Bishop the day Andy & I were coming down from Muir. I started reading some of her blog entries, and really enjoyed the way she expressed the same impressions/feelings I tried to convey with this trip report.

https://milissajayn.wordpress.com/2016/ ... er-passes/

In my opinion, there is no place more beautiful than the Sierra Nevada, and being up there in the snow, added a dimension that seems to be literally the icing on the cake. I see a whole new world in these mountains, a whole new dimension to the soul of this space, and that is one big reason why I went up there in these conditions. I have hiked the JMT twice, and I quickly fell in love. Now, starting with Crabtree Meadow, the PCT and JMT intersect and overlap for nearly 200 miles. This will be my third time hiking the JMT, but it may as well be an entirely new trail, hiking Northbound this time, and in the snow. Things were familiar, yet completely foreign too.

Actually, we did not hit the PCT at all, and one of the first things I learned about back country snow travel was that you do not have to be on the trail to get where you are going. With a map, compass, or a tool of technology, whatever it may be, as long as you have land marks and you know the direction you need to be headed, you are free to traverse the slopes, meadows and climb to the vistas. We later coined this concept with the term “hiker freedom”. One of my biggest anxieties going into the week, and the class, was that I was nervous about not being able to find the trail under the snow. Ned (Tibbits - http://mountaineducation.org/) helped us a lot with this, teaching us how to navigate from both a micro and macro standpoint. I can now say I feel much more confident and in fact, I love hiking over the snow, because you can walk anywhere you like. This allows you to look up and look around you much much more, because you have to be very observant of your surroundings. You have to orient yourself constantly, look for indications of the trail and of landmarks. You have to pay attention, rather than zoning out following a 12″ wide dirt path. This shifts things considerably. One of my favorite discoveries of the week was when we cut down a slope covered in snow, to bisect a section of trail that followed a drainage. We put on our foot traction and straight down the billowy tufts of compact snow we went, each carving out our own path down to a beautiful meadow below. It felt like a ride at Disneyland to me, I was like a kid again, almost hopping down the slope and able to dodge in and out of the trees on my way down. It was marvelous and elating!

It continues to astound me how different everything looks in the snow! I must say, this beauty is remarkable, and I was feeling so happy to be experiencing this new element. The snow was somewhat wet on the next few miles as we approached the Palisade Lakes basin where we planned to camp that night. It was slow going, post-holing all the way, but I did not mind much because I was busy just absorbing my surroundings. The space is so vast, and within that, one feels so small, and there is a timelessness exuded by the giant granitic mountains on all sides.

As an added bonus, she has a few shots of our favorite spots (of which we didn't have [m]any good images, so there wasn't anything to post to the thread). Without further ado:

Glen pass:

Pinchot basin:

Palisades basin:

If you like long sunny days, brilliant blue skies (ie no smoke), empty terrain & x-country navigation through the very best of the Sierra, then a late spring hike might be something to consider.

We had entered the Palisade Lakes basin, and the magic and beauty of this place was overwhelming. For one, there were waterfalls of all sizes and shapes spilling over every kind of rock, from every crack, from a small trickle to a full splashing crash. Enter the land of “Narnia”. The afternoon light poured through the clouds, glimering on the now melting water, the shiny wet rocks and illuminated the fresh green grasses and plants to the status of glowing. I was awestruck, as the last two times I hiked through this valley it was barren, dry, rocky, hot. There were no waterfalls, no green grass, no god beams parting thruogh clouds. This was cool with a capital “C”.
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

Thanks for this report, great read, and interesting to know what this route entails in the spring. Of course the usual trail at the top of the switchbacks turns into an ice wall! I had the same question as fishmonger, why didn't you bring some lightweight snowshoes to avoid the post-holing? Nice photo of Tenacious-D!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Re: snowshoes/skies - it's a judgment call. Winter, April or early May, I'd say yes. However, once the snow begins to consolidate late May & June, it's easy to move fairly quickly as long as you're hiking early the morning when the surface is rock hard.

So it gets back to route planning. If there's only a few miles of snow either side of the passes, then the name of the game is to reach/set up for each successive pass during the prior afternoon/evening in order to prepare for an early morning ascent/descent. Following our schedule, we had no problems with Lamarck, Muir, Mather, Pinchot, Glen & Kearsarge. In prior years, I've scooted over Forester, Shepherd & the Armies using the same technique.

The only real post-holing we did was through Evolution (and back up from the SF Kings), and that was entirely expected. After reviewing different snow sensor sites, we knew Evo was in the 150%+ of average range. We knew we were going to be hiking in the afternoon, so we knew what was in store.

All other regions were normal, with the trail completely snow free below 10.7k. For example, if one were to go north after coming over Lamarck, you would have had only had snow over Seldon, Silver & Donohue - the rest of the way was clear.

As for ice, cornices & cliffs, it's absolutely imperative to have an ice-axe. IMO, it's more important than traction (even though that's a must have as well). While an axe provides a measure of safety in case of slip or fall (as long as you've practiced and know how to self arrest), it's real value is that of an essential climbing tool in providing both guidance and anchor. Once properly set (ie the shaft buried to the head, which is why you want one of suitable length - I'm 6'1" and mine is 70mm), you can really place a lot of weight on it as either a steady point or a critical handhold while climbing/descending.

Whitney MR descent:
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moonwalker »

And thanks for your patience, Hobbes! (I found the earlier posts addressing this issue). What an epic trip. Cheers!
-Eric
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Hobbes.
not quite sure how I've not found this until the past few days-but man, what an epic adventure you two/three had!
really inspiring to see the beauty and seclusion of the area in early season..a whole different world. and to meet like minded individuals and form lasting friendships where totally unexpected..cool. sure your European adventure will be cool with Tenacious.
i enjoy winter hiking/camping in our local mountains -Baldy, Icehouse Canyon, San G etc. but have yet to get out to the Sierra in similar conditions-usually doing most of my trips in early/late Fall. this thread inspired me to as you say...

[quote="Hobbes"] all you gotta do is get out there and do it.

thanks again for sharing!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: JMT Spring Traverse 2016

Post by Bluewater »

bbayley80: A few years ago I got tired of waiting for the summer to get into the Sierra, so after a few local winter trips (San G, San J etc) I took my first winter/early spring snowshoe trip. . .and never looked back. I go every winter now. No crowds, amazing beautiful scenery, easy x/c navigation and plenty of water:) Piute Pass is a good place to start. If you're interested I did a trip report with maps, route details, gear list etc:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... lpine.html
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Bluewater.
i know the feeling! i get the Sierra itch for sure come May..

thanks for sharing that! i'll dig in for sure.
agreed on Piute Pass. I've been up and down that one-again in a few weeks- enough times that id feel real comfortable over completely snow covered terrain, and Humphreys Basin and surrounding area offers more fairly straightforward x/c travel in snow.

you may be seeing me out there come May!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I'm already plotting a few spring hikes. Definitely Taboose to Sawmill via Pinchot.