DeLorme InReach SE

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: DeLorme InReach SE

Post by overheadx2 »

I like my Delorme for several reasons. First, it syncs with my phone and I no longer have to text messages on tiny buttons with my huge thumbs. It used to take me a while to get out a short message. Secondly, what I really like is the fact that you can text an SOS and they can message you back to understand the nature of the emergency. This way SAR isn't guessing about the emergency and mobilizing troops because of a sprained ankle. On the other hand, if it was something more significant like an appendicitis, significant fracture or heart attack for example, all hands on deck and some communication would be appreciated. Thirdly, while I always leave a detailed map and itinerary with my hiking partners and my wife, sometimes I change things up on the fly. If I veer off my itinerary, I always text them all and let them know what I am doing through Delorme.
My wife and Mom have been told not to expect messages every day and look at my tracks if they want to check on me. I will purposely miss a night or two just so they get used to not getting a message every night.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Another question I could google and figure out for myself, but sometimes asking is quicker and you get more information.

Here's the question:

If you don't have a cellphone with you, just the InReach itself, how much functionality do you lose?
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

longri wrote:Another question I could google and figure out for myself, but sometimes asking is quicker and you get more information.

Here's the question:

If you don't have a cellphone with you, just the InReach itself, how much functionality do you lose?
Not much, IMO. It takes longer to write a message, and the Delorme weather forecasts look better on a phone. Can't think of anything else.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I was looking at the SE vs the Explorer, and it makes it sound like the Explorer also acts like a GPS. What exactly does the SE do in that regard? I've heard that it only provides your current GPS location, but can you also add maps to it, or is all that done on the app?
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

zacjust32 wrote:I was looking at the SE vs the Explorer, and it makes it sound like the Explorer also acts like a GPS. What exactly does the SE do in that regard? I've heard that it only provides your current GPS location, but can you also add maps to it, or is all that done on the app?
I think that it needs to be done on the app, but I'm not sure. I have the Explorer, so I'm not familiar with the SE and it's functions. Sorry.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

Yes, you load the maps onto your phone using the Deloreme Earthmate map and connect the phone to your SE via Bluetooth. You can use the same app to read and reply to messages.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Something I noticed on our last trip when I checked our otherwise verifiable location using Earthmate GPS is that on one or two days, our location was consistently off by about 50-200 yds. When I say "consistently," it seemed that we were always placed 50-200 yds. to the west of where we actually were. We verified our location by simple methods such as placing ourselves between a stream and a steep cliff, and the Earthmate GPS would show us as being on top of, or behind the cliff. Other days, the Earthmate GPS seemed to be right on. This is one of the reasons we hike so slowly--we're having fun trying to make a liar out of our GPS unit. How accurate is the GAIA GPS?