DeLorme InReach SE

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

DeLorme InReach SE

Post by Shhsgirl »

I have several requirements for my hiking tech package: I need to know where I am and where I am going, I want to take pictures, I want to read a book, I want to know what time and day it is, and I want to be able to send an SOS message. Until my last trip, I carried the following: Map, compass, Kindle in Otter Box case, Sony point and shoot camera in soft case with extra battery, Suunto Core wristwatch, and SPOT satellite messenger.

I changed out that package for my most recent trip with the following: DeLorme InReach SE, synced to iPhone 6S+ in Mophie H20 Pro Juice Pack, Mophie 2x external battery, mini micro USB cable, and Timex Expedition women's wristwatch. The new package weighs about 2 oz. less than the old.

I am very happy with the new package and will stick with it. I have more capability now. By syncing the DeLorme device to the Earthmate App on my iPhone, I have the ability to text or email everyone in my phone address book. Not that I would, since I am not addicted to texting or emailing, but, for example, if I needed to reach my doctor, or work, it would be easy. Before my trip I downloaded a huge area of USGS 7.5 minute topos into my Earthmate App, so that the maps were right there without the need for access to Wifi. I found these topos as easy to read as the USGS paper quads, and completely unlike the garbled scribbling that passes for a map on the Garmin GPS. I was also able to upload waypoints onto the topos for us to follow. Earthmate has a GPS function, so I was able to see exactly where I was on the topo. I liked being able to max- and minimize the topo maps with my fingertips, according to how much I wanted to see. I was able to get weather forecasts, both hourly and daily, for my location. Texting and emailing was extremely easy, because I was doing it from my phone, rather than the device. The two-way communication, in my opinion, is a potential lifesaver.

I didn't keep records of how long per day I had the In Reach on. I didn't use the tracking function, but I did turn the device on to send and receive messages in the evening, and periodically throughout the day to check my GPS location. At the end of a ten-day trip, I had 75% of the In Reach battery left.

My iPhone and Mophie Juice Pack had to be recharged once during the ten days, at about day 8. I used the phone with abandon to take photos, read, check my GPS location, and send and receive messages.

I wasn't careful with my pack, dumping it down a few drops, but the InReach SE and Mophie Juice Pack H20 Pro are very tough, and aside from a tiny scratch on the screen of the InReach, no damage was done.

Stuff breaks, of course, so my husband carried the paper maps and compass. I have resorted to reading the fine print on maps in my sleeping bag at night, when my Kindle has broken in the middle of a trip.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: DeLorme InReach SE

Post by rlown »

nice summary of your approach. You probably don't need the watch as your phone has one. another few ounces?

And I don't understand the "call work" thing.. that's half the point of being out there.. I don't even want them to know that I could reach them.. :)

The only other thing is that you're putting a lot of faith in your phone for multi-purpose. Glad you have the map backup w/hubbie. If I drop my either camera or gps, I still have some degrees of freedom. My cam won't tell me where I am, but the map will and my cam has altitude capability on it..

I like a separation of duty and redundancy in the devices I carry. Not saying your set-up is bad at all. And you do have the buddy system in place with two of you on the trek.

How much did it cost you to save your 2 ounces?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you for taking the time to do this write up. :) :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Delorme Inreach is a great little gadget!

I started using Inreach this summer. Really like it. I tried tracking 2 days of my 5 day trip and found it was eating at battery a bit. By end of trip I had about 25% remaining. I often kept it on even when not tracking except at night time. I didn't mind running it down originally since I had an Anker powerpack to juice the battery. Unfortunately the day I went to juice it realized left the cabling in the car at trailhead. Oops.

I used mine fair bit to send the pre-set messages, which really makes my wife feel better at home. There were a few messages that failed and some took longer going out than would really like if a true emergency. But I figure 90% of time works very well. I mostly use the pre-sets, but a few times wrote a message or two and that was really helpful - lost my Iphone that used as GPS on trail - so giving heads up to my wife - I had a brand new phone waiting for me on the return. After lost my phone, it was super handy as I used it to track location - primarily w the elevation data. This proved key as I was able to track elevation against my harrison Map and re-find the trail quite successfully. Worked really well that way.

One major complaint - I think it was result of using it w/ sun-tan lotioned hands - but the info on how to use the SOS located on back of the InReach completely washed off/smudged off on mine. It was really handy having that as key info in case of need. Guess will need to write something on a piece of tape and put it on the gadget.

Do you carry your InREach on you or just keep tucked away in your pack while on trail?
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Thanks for the write up! I've got a spot gen 3 and the thing I dont like about it is the fact that I cant see on my end if a message has been successfully transmitted. I normally have the spot lashed to the top or the back of my pack so the GPS pings when I turn on the tracking mode have been for the most part spot on, it will occasionally not send out a ping when I'm in a deep canyon or in a heavily forested area. I have it set up to send out a location ping every 5 min and every once in a while it will miss one. Not the end of the world, but it still irks me a bit. When the end of the year rolls around I'll be picking up an inreach SE as the two way comms that it affords are worth the trade off in price versus the spot 3.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I've used my inreach se on 4 separate trips. 100% of my msgs (preset and free form) were acknowledged as delivered at about a 5 min or less time frame. I only use it for my wife after a LONG story; being called "lost" by my sil in the Sawtooths on a car camping trip with my bro-in-law. My sil called the sheriff as we were 12hrs late. Technically -12hrs early. Again long ugly story. Since then I carry the DeLorme. I do run my own small business; never been txt'd, so there's a bonus. I do the tracking for friends to see at about 1 hr intervals and shut it down at night. Send off a g'nite and a g'morn... Does eat the battery; but I carry a source to charge it. I leave it on my pack in sky view and turn off tracking if I stop to fish or on a zero day. LOVE the zero/fishing days.
Wouldn't hesitate to use for another in the right situation. The 2way txt with the DeLorme people is potentially an awesome feature as they can tell to some extent what the emergency is and field it to the right people. A friend of mine flies helicopters in Olympic National Park, Mt St Helens and Rainer for SAR and the Forest Svc. He had a call with a hiker w/o the txt ability. Found him within 50 feet of where it said he was with a broken leg.
Spendy upfront and $45/yr fee plus the month-by month plan is a winner for me. Pairs well with the iPhone. The first time I used it w/o the phone the onscreen qwerty keyboard and shift/enter txt is a PITA but worked. Using the bt pairing for the phone decent!
I'm usually solo and with some medical issues could lead to a fall; worth it.
Also have offered it to my other bro-in-law in San Diego as he has an oceangoing boat. The VHF is not great way out there. I could mail it to him and he pay the month fee and use it in my off times!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I only use it for my wife after a LONG story; being called "lost" by my sil in the Sawtooths on a car camping trip with my bro-in-law. My sil called the sheriff as we were 12hrs late. Technically -12hrs early. Again long ugly story.
12 hours? wow.. tight leash ;) i had to think a bit on sil..

Wondering at this point.. anyone here using Maverick's form? Just an open question, and more to the point, why not if not.. Probably the best bread crumbs you can leave in your vehicle or at home.. maybe a different poll/topic.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

rlown wrote:
I only use it for my wife after a LONG story; being called "lost" by my sil in the Sawtooths on a car camping trip with my bro-in-law. My sil called the sheriff as we were 12hrs late. Technically -12hrs early. Again long ugly story.
12 hours? wow.. tight leash ;) i had to think a bit on sil..

Wondering at this point.. anyone here using Maverick's form? Just an open question, and more to the point, why not if not.. Probably the best bread crumbs you can leave in your vehicle or at home.. maybe a different poll/topic.
Tried to keep it on topic but just a knee jerk reaction to a misunderstanding between the other spouses.(I was just riding) I got the collateral damage of it from my wife (b/c of her sister's reaction/hysteria) Runs in the jeans. (Like diarrhea) :unibrow:
But ReConn would not have been real useful as we never left the car and when the river was blown out we changed directions in Stanley I called my wife and told her I'd call with I got service again; our agreement. The issue was the date we were to surface and sister-in-law (sil) didn't even give us 12hrs past to what she had in her mind the date to return. (She was wrong by a day) :snipe:
Enough. DeLorme is great; serves my purposes and allows me to do what I love. I just look at it as an insurance policy.
ReConn, yes. Technology does fail.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

What do they cost? Expensive, I assume.

Can you rent them?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

https://www.lowergear.com/product.php/id/510

just one of many places to rent from..

for purchase, do this: https://www.google.com/#q=rei+delorme+inreach+explorer or remove rei..