Quick question - is this Mercur Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
murphtron
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Quick question - is this Mercur Lake?

Post by murphtron »

Hi all, just wondering if this lake - just west of Mercur Peak - is also referred to as Mercur Lake. Has anyone been there? Good campsites and swimming?

Map link
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.09576 ... =r2&n=0.31
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Quick question - is this Mercur Lake?

Post by balzaccom »

We've been there. It's a long hike along the top of Kibbie Ridge to get there. We kept going and camped down in Cherry Canyon (about a mile past Styx Pass)

There are a lot of nice lakes in this area: Boundary was our favorite, but Spotted Fawn and Little Bear are also nice--as is Many Island

Mercur Lake isn't deep--and none of these lakes have fish, as far as I know.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
murphtron
Topix Acquainted

Post by murphtron »

I've been up Kibbie Ridge many times in the past 15 years, and am familiar with all of the major lakes off-trail (Boundary, Spotted Fawn, etc). Funny enough, the two lakes I haven't visited are Kibbie Lake and Flora Lake. From looking at Google Earth, Mercur Lake appears promising. I don't fish much. But I like to take a dip in a cold lake at the end of the day!

Ya know, I was just in the West Fork Cherry last weekend, and we camped right near the swimming hole/pool in the second picture in your post from last year.

From there I hiked south to the pool where Bear Meadow feeds into W Fork. If I had gone about 1 mile further I would have completed the entire W Fork from Louse Canyon to confluence of main fork. Oh well. (I ran out of time. But I was scouting an easier route to get to an amazing swimming channel + camp I had previously found traveling north from the confluence.)
balzaccom wrote:We've been there. It's a long hike along the top of Kibbie Ridge to get there. We kept going and camped down in Cherry Canyon (about a mile past Styx Pass)

There are a lot of nice lakes in this area: Boundary was our favorite, but Spotted Fawn and Little Bear are also nice--as is Many Island

Mercur Lake isn't deep--and none of these lakes have fish, as far as I know.
rsm333
Topix Acquainted

Post by rsm333 »

I walked by there last week...it looked pretty swampy and uninviting from the trail, but I did not take a close look.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I haven't been there since 1995. As of 1995 it looked like the lake had a fair bit of use in spite of the fact there wasn't an official trail there. There was evidence of visitation by large stock-assisted parties and a fair amount of bear sign (gravitating to "extras" 'round those campsites?). In 1995 there were also good brookies in that lake, but it was being air dropped in those days. Those fish probably couldn't reproduce sufficiently to sustain the fishery after the cessation of air drops. If the lake has indeed become fishless, then I'd be willing to bet it sees fewer visitors than it did in 1995.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;