Humphreys Basin Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HikeItUp
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Humphreys Basin Question

Post by HikeItUp »

Seeing the level of Sierras experience here I have a feeling this will be an easy question to answer. The ranger I spoke with was a little unsure. He might have been a sub.

I'm soloing the N. Lake to S. Lake loop in a couple of weeks. Never been in the area. I've been reading about the trail down to Desolation Lake beyond Piute Pass and wanted to include it as a side trip. Does that trail continue on past Mesa Lake towards Puppet Lake and eventually meet up with the Pine Creek Trail? Or does the trail end at the lake making it all cross country to hook up with the Pine Creek Trail?

A big thanks in advance for any insight.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Humphreys Basin Question

Post by rlown »

It's a use trail that heads towards Desolation more than Mesa, but its real easy to go x-country there. There is no trail per se over Carol col. It's a use trail. Once you hit the Use trail cairn (can't really miss it with the huge 6" deep trail) on the main trail West, the outlet of Desolation becomes obvious as its that green growth around Deso's outlet stream that flows down to Lower Deso. Mesa would be just to the left of that. Then Carol col is just up and to the right after you hit the back (North side) of Mesa Lk.

Map or Google earth can give you really great clarity on the route...

And welcome to the HST!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi HIU,

Welcome to HST! This thread will give an insight about the surround terrain and Carol Col itself.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7686&p=86586&hilit ... col#p55461
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
HikeItUp
Topix Newbie

Post by HikeItUp »

Thanks for that. All the maps I've seen have the trail petering out at Desolation Lake. Just wasn't sure if there was a defined use path to get me back up to Pine Creek Trail. Always a little extra careful when I'm soloing. Thanks again for the tip.
HikeItUp
Topix Newbie

Post by HikeItUp »

maverick wrote:Hi HIU,

Welcome to HST! This thread will give an insight about the surround terrain and Carol Col itself.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7686&p=86586&hilit ... col#p55461
Thanks much!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You know, we're going to want that TR when you get back, right? :)

Probably my favorite area to visit and read about, and as it looks like i can't get out of the cubicle this year, reading about it is a bonus.
HikeItUp
Topix Newbie

Post by HikeItUp »

rlown wrote:You know, we're going to want that TR when you get back, right? :)

Probably my favorite area to visit and read about, and as it looks like i can't get out of the cubicle this year, reading about it is a bonus.
Writing about trips comes in second only to doing trips. :)
I'll try to provide some eye candy to help break down the cubicle walls.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

As others have said, don't sweat the trail... that whole side of the basin is REALLY easy routefinding with Humpreys and pilot knob to key off of, and easy terrain.