$55 Flat Rate for Bearikade for JMT Thru-Hikers

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dharter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

$55 Flat Rate for Bearikade for JMT Thru-Hikers

Post by dharter »

When I read that you can rent Bearikade's at certain locations yesterday, I emailed Wild Ideas to ask at what locations - I could not find a list. In the response that I received regarding locations and the option of having th eBearikade mailed there was a note that "special rates" apply to JMT, PCT and AT thru-hikers. In a follow-up email I inquired as to the rates and the response was that JMT thru-hikers can rent for a flat rate of $55. They did not say this rate included shipping, so I presume it does not. For me at least, that is a big savings due to the length of time we plan to be on the trail, plus travel time to and from PA. Based on their posted daily rates for the Expedition, I was figuring a rental cost of $93, not including shipping.

Anyway, I have not seen the flat rate info posted on any of the forums I have been viewing, so thought it might be of interest to others.

Doug
Doug
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Was there a time frame that they gave you with this rate?

Not to be sounding skeptical, but I'm surprised that they'd tie up a bearikade for possibly a month or more during the peak of the hiking season just to give a thru-hiker a break with a great flat-rate. I'm sure these guys are nice, but I'm just wondering if there's more to it.

My Dad always told me that if it sounds too good to be true..... you know how it goes.

Anyway, that'd be great for you if it is the case. I've got two Bearikade expeditions and LOVE them. Paid a lot for them years ago and never regretted it.
dharter
Topix Acquainted

No Time Frame

Post by dharter »

When I made the initial inquiry, I provided my expected itinerary which included my travel time from/back to PA and requested a quote confirming the cost. The response to that request was the flat rate quote. So, I would interpret that to be for however long you need it to complete the hike - of course, they might not believe if you should tell them you'll be taking 3 months to do the trip! :D

I do seem to recall reading that they had a flat rate for PCT thru hikers of $80. Picked up at the south end (Kennedy MEadows?) and returned from Tahoe?

Anyway, that's 2lb 9oz of a second bear vault that my wife won't have to carry which makes her happy!
Doug