TR with photos Emigrant Wilderness: Piute Lake to Buck Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR with photos Emigrant Wilderness: Piute Lake to Buck Lakes

Post by Love the Sierra »

Last Friday, we spent the night at the Crabtree trailhead with plenty of mosquitoes!
On Saturday we joined the hordes of people going up the trail. There must have been at least 100 people going to Bear Lake!! However, once we passed the Bear Lake junction, the crowds thinned substantially.
P1030251.JPG
Piute was beautiful as ever and NO mosquitoes. I mean none!
Going up to Buck Lakes was beautiful.
DSC04163.JPG
We met rangers checking permits. They told us that they were burying people's waste- GROSS. Really? Backpackers don't know to bury their waste? We picked up a ton of trash along the way. Bottles and various other trash along the trail and at the campsites. I usually pick up and haul out any trash that is not completely disgusting.
There was some water running at most of the streams that were dry last year.
Buck Lakes were spectacular!!
DSC04227.JPG
Almost no one there and the lakes just BEG for exploration!
DSC04266.JPG
DSC04286.JPG
DSC04308.JPG
The next day, we hiked back to Piute via Wood Lake and then cut over to Gem Lake and down to Piute. It was a lovely, scenic, mostly shaded trail.
DSC04401.JPG
P1030286.JPG
Buck creek had water, enough to filter if necessary.
Also, NO mosquitoes at Buck or Gem or anywhere on the trail in between!!!
Hope this is helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Love the Sierra on Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Emigrant Wilderness: Piute Lake to Buck Lakes

Post by rlown »

Nice TR.
Love the Sierra wrote: If someone can tell me how to upload photos, I will be happy to do it. :)
check out viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: TR with photos Emigrant Wilderness: Piute Lake to Buck L

Post by rlown »

Very nice pictures. Thanks for posting them. I was always fond of Gianelli over Crabtree for entry into Emigrant. Glad the bugs weren't horrific. I've seen them really bad in August during big snow years out of Crabtree..

Russ
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Nice. Planning on going to Buck Lakes in a couple weeks myself for a fishing trip. Which Buck Lakes was best to stay at? Any campsites to recommend?
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

We found a marvelous site south of upper, on the isthmus between upper and lower. We saw some very lovely sites on the east side of lower Buck. Search around and don't just take the first one you see. There are loads of wonderful spots amount the lakes.