2016 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Desolation Wilderness - Glen Alpine to Lake Aloha, Aug 15-17

Post by wildhiker »

Hiked Glen Alpine TH to Gilmore Lake (camp), up to Dicks Pass and Mount Tallac, then over on the PCT to Lake Aloha (camp), then south on PCT to Triangle Lake trail and down that back to Glen Alpine TH. Elevations 6500 to 9700 feet. Mixture of open forest and open rocky alpine areas. Light breezes. Did not see a single mosquito! And only a few of those annoying flies.
-Phil
cefire
Topix Regular

Pine Creek to Evolution 8/11-8/18

Post by cefire »

Hiked from Pine Creek TH to Evolution meadows 8/11-8/18. Bugs started at around 9,000' and were at level 3. Most intense at the beginning of the trip around Honeymoon and Hutchinson Meadows where we used headnets and DEET. Later in the trip, simply an annoyance (level 2).
Last edited by maverick on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
3dpete
Topix Newbie

Re: 2016 Mosquito Reports - Season Chart

Post by 3dpete »

First Post- Thanks to everyone posting here. I was having trouble putting all the posts in perspective so I decided to graph all the info. I used Google Earth to locate most of the elevations if not listed. If anything the graph shows a pretty clear trend, hope it helps everyone plan trips in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Bruce B »

3dpete wrote:First Post- Thanks to everyone posting here. I was having trouble putting all the posts in perspective so I decided to graph all the info. I used Google Earth to locate most of the elevations if not listed. If anything the graph shows a pretty clear trend, hope it helps everyone plan trips in the future.
Thanks for that graph, 3dpete. Pretty cool. It's nice to see a visual representation of why July is typically my Sierra off-season!
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

South Lake to Treasure Lakes, 8/19 - 8/21

Post by Bruce B »

Mosquitoes were a 1 the entire time.

First day at campground around 8,000 feet. Got a site away from the creek... No biting bugs.

Second day to lower and upper Treasure Lakes... One small mosquito buzzed around me after a brief rain shower at the lower lake. It seemed confused and unsure what to do, like he showed up to a party by himself but everyone had already left.

Third day on the hike down... A couple of biters landed on me as I stopped at the creek to filter water. There were no more for the rest of the day.
Randyhol
Topix Novice

Post by Randyhol »

Very nicely done graph. I hate those bugs beyond words. Going out for 4 days western side starting Labor Day. Hope my report is zero seen. One is too many for me!
Randy Holliday
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Kearsarge to Whitney 8/18-8/25

Post by davepctjmt »

0 nearly all the way except for a couple of mozzies at Wallace creek/ JMT junction but no bites. Vidette, Crabtree, bullfrog, Kearsarge, flower lake, all the potential hotspots were bug free.
eoconnor101
Topix Novice

Pioneer Basin 8/24-8/29

Post by eoconnor101 »

Mosquito Flats TH = 1
Hiking during the day all days = 0
Mono Creek (valley) = 1
Pioneer Basin = 1
Golden Lake = 1

Never really was bothered, seemed slow and lazy, ripe for the swatting if they were around.

By the way, i should have posted it back in July, but July 27-30 Maggie Lakes pretty much a zero the whole way. I feel it would be too out of order now. My theory was even though other areas were getting high activity, it was too low/far south to have held snow, I don't know if that's why there were none but that was my theory planning the trip. Long hike in/out though and not a ton of peaks/scenery like I prefer.
Wezzle
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Desolation Wilderness Rockbound Pass 9/23-25

Post by Wezzle »

Twin Lakes trailhead lollipop loop to Rockbound Pass, Lake Doris, China Flat, Camper Flat, Lake Schmidell, Lake Lois.
0- Probably no surprise here but no mosquitoes the whole trip
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: 2016 Mosquito Reports

Post by punchcard »

9/11-9/23 Crescent Meadow to Bear Paw to Elizabeth Pass to Avalanche Pass to Roads End to JMT via Bubbs Creek to Whitney back to Crescent Meadow via HST.

Never saw a mosquito.