Route Suggestions 50-75 miles

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
emhack
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Route Suggestions 50-75 miles

Post by emhack »

Hi all,

I was planning on hiking the High Sierra Trail in early September, but we are having some logistical issues that may make that unrealistic. As such, I am searching for alternative routes and would love to hear this boards thoughts. We would prefer to approximate the length of the High Sierra Trail (72 miles and 5-6) as we are flying out from the Midwest and would like to keep as many of our travel plans intact as possible. On trail travel is preferable as some of our party is uncomfortable with off trail; as long as its on trail, it will work for all of our party. We will be coming from San Francisco, so in the spirit of simplifying logistics would prefer to approach from the West and stay further North. Open to routes in Yosemite, all wilderness areas and national forests, etc.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eric
emhack
Topix Novice

Re: Route Suggestions 50-75 miles

Post by emhack »

5-6 days**
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Red Peak pass loop in Yosemite, with a trip to Clouds Rest.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Twin Lakes on the East side. Easiest if you come from Reno--and that might be an easier flight for you.

Twin lakes to Peeler Lake, Kerrick Canyon, Benson lake, Matterhorn Canyon, and back to Peeler and out. About 50 miles.

Of if permits are a concern: Gianelli trailhead to Bucks Lake, the north to Emigrant and Upper Emigrant, then down to Huckleberry, then back to Bucks Lake. More of a half-lollipop than a true loop...but in Emigrant Wilderness, just north of Yosemite

Or if you like long slow drives, look at Mineral King in the southern part of SEKI.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

Loops that size are easy out of Mineral King, and can include the best parts of the HST. You'll have more time for hiking and pie without the 300 mile shuttle.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Or if you like long slow drives, look at Mineral King in the southern part of SEKI.
Loops that size are easy out of Mineral King, and can include the best parts of the HST. You'll have more time for hiking and pie without the 300 mile shuttle.
Yes Mineral King is beautiful and would be ideal, but the OP requested something "from the west and stay further north" since they are flying into SFO.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
emhack
Topix Novice

Post by emhack »

Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies. While Mineral King is a bit more of a drive than we prefer, the comment was instructive in that it led me to simply look at loops out of Wolverton which allows us to utilize our original permit. There are plenty of options in that area that seem to fit the bill and we can easily hike South towards Mineral King if we so choose. If anyone has any suggestions to that end, I am all ears.

Thanks again, I very much appreciate everyones input.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Also check out my description of a lollipop loop off Sonora Pass (4 hour drive from San Francisco, pick up the permit in Pinecrest on the way, no quotas) in response to another trip advice request:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14915

-Phil