Agnew to Donahue to Tuolumne?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Agnew to Donahue to Tuolumne?

Post by maverick »

Looks like you will get a little luck, there is a consistent southwesterly wind all this week into next week which will help you with the mosquitoes. :)
NWS:

Friday Sunny, with a high near 68. West southwest wind around 10 mph.

Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 46. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Saturday Sunny, with a high near 63. West southwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Saturday Night Clear, with a low around 43. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Sunday Sunny, with a high near 61. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph.

Sunday Night Clear, with a low around 42. Breezy, with a southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Monday Sunny, with a high near 60. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.

Monday Night Clear, with a low around 42. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 15 to 20 mph.

Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 62. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Tuesday Night Clear, with a low around 43. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 63. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Tonydavid »

Yahoo! Keep that wind blowing! You are an awesome moderator and I appreciate all the info you have been giving me.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yahoo! Keep that wind blowing! You are an awesome moderator and I appreciate all the info you have been giving me.
Thank you for your kind words, this is what I am here for. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Post by davepctjmt »

Greetings from a newbie here (albeit not a newbie to the sierra).
I did a similar trip with my kids last year, and thought I'd suggest an oft-overlook lake - Clarice Lake. It's just off-trail between Shadow and Garnet lakes, and has 3 amazing advantages:

1) It's about 50ft below the campfire cutoff, so campfires are allowed (or at least they were last year!), unlike almost every other lake in the area.
2) It's off-trail (about 10 mins) so really quiet, but easy to get to (my 5 yr old had no problem)
3) It's small enough to get warm - I swam for about 20 mins without feeling at all cold.

There's some great camping spots where you first meet the lake, and some more on the opposite side.

Turn off at the centre of this map, hike ENE up a few boulders, then down the obvious fault line to the lake.
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tonydavid »

Davdpctjmt…Thanks for the tip about Clarice Lake!!!!! I think you made reference to a map…but I don't see an attachment.
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Post by davepctjmt »

Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tonydavid »

Yes, got the map and location! Thank you
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tonydavid »

Here are our TRIP REPORTS/PHOTO ESSAYS- see links...We took a fantastic father/son 6 day backpack from Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows July 19-25, 2006. We also car camped before and after the trip at Pumice Campground on the Red's Meadow Road. We had a lot of fun making them. We hope you will read them and check out the photos. We want to THANK all the people on the highsierratopix that helped us SO much by answering questions, providing great advice and sharing your experience. You guys are FANTASTIC! We hope that these trip reports will inspire and help someone else to experience the wilderness.

Backpacking Page:
https://spark.adobe.com/page/FdVlXFfjLaSEi/

Camping Page:
https://spark.adobe.com/page/ae6Kh10lWZgYF/
P1100120-Edit.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

What a gorgeous trail report with fabulous photography. Your TR took me back 6 years to my very similar trip, with a fourteen year old. Precious times....