Cell Phone/Service for Hwy 395 & DV

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Cell Phone/Service for Hwy 395 & DV

Post by Ranboze »

lost my cell phone last weekend on Forgotten Pass and need to replace it. I currently subscribe to Sprint PCS and had a Sanyo Dual-Band SCP-4500 phone, which was capable of analog roaming.

Because I frequently drive from LA > Mammoth via hwys 14 (mojave) and 395, as well as occassionally visit Death Valley, Im looking for a phone/provider that provides reliable service in these areas.

With my lost phone, I had a dead zone from Mojave north about 20 miles, but then had analog roam service all the way to Mammoth. I also had recepetion, albeit spotty, in the Panamint Valley. Ive made calls from the top of Whitney, Forgotten Pass and other peaks with my lost phone.

I would like to know the phone and service you have, and whether or not you have reception along 395 and in the Panamint Valley. Knowing what phones/service DO NOT provide reception will be as helpful as knowing which ones do.

THANX.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

I don't recall losing service along that stretch (14 to 395) with my Palm Treo and Verizon Wireless service. But I wasn't making a whole lot of calls, either. However, my phone usually beeps when service is lost, so I would think I would have noticed if I'd driven through any dead spots.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Depending on your phone you can also get magnetic base external antennaes that attach to the roof of your vehicle. Improves reception in marginal areas. Take them off your vehicle and stash them inside while parked at the trailhead.

You can also get signal boosters, but they are $$$.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=