TR: Crescent Meadow to Happy Isles 6/28- 7/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Crescent Meadow to Happy Isles 6/28- 7/15

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This is a non-issue if you just get a new permit. I have never had trouble getting a first-come permit particularly for the next day. Larger groups would be a different case. Even if you do not get the new permit, no more backpackers are on the trails (to impact the trails). You get a permit for x number of days- staying out 24 hours still puts you on the trail x number of days- just not the exact same days as it would be if you did not go out. the "impact" is that without a new permit, you may, for the first day, cause more people on the trail than the quota allows. I see it as a pretty minor issue. I get new permits when I go out and stay overnight. Never had any problem getting these. Better yet is if you plan to do this, reserve new permits and then just pick them up. Obviously large groups should do this.