Shortest/easiest West to East via Whitney.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Localdan
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Localdan »

Hi guys! I'm planning a trip in about a year. Inviting a bunch of my (active) friends to cross the Sierra. I'm guessing the group will be 10ish people. Haven't really started planning it. We probably can't swing a weeklong trip - more like 4 days, 3 nights. What are my choices? I need the EASIEST way across, not necessarily the shortest, but interested in options. I live in Visalia, and want to summit Whitney. Ideas for shuttles back to the West side would be helpful as well as food drop options, though I know there are separate forums for that stuff.

Thanks in advance!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Shortest/easiest West to East via Whitney.

Post by AlmostThere »

That would probably be the High Sierra Trail. Everything else starts too low (Middle Fork is HOOOOTTTTTT) or climbs 5000 feet the first day (Mineral King) or requires longer hikes with potential cross country (any trailhead north of the HST).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

HST in 4 days would require you to hike 18 miles a day, that is quite a bit of miles for most folks, is everyone in your group physically capable of doing that kind of mileage daily?

PS Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Post by davepctjmt »

What about Roads End to Whitney Portal? 53 miles on my calculation.

Roads end to Vidette Meadow 13 miles
Vidette to Tyndall frog ponds 13 miles
Tyndall to Guitar Lake (or camp at JMT/Whitney junction at 13k ft) 11/14 miles
Summit and out 16/13 miles

Edited to add - and shuttle back from Bob Ennis of mt whitney shuttle who has a full size minibus that I think could take 10 of you. Won't be cheap, but split 10 ways it should be <$100 each.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

davepctjmt wrote:What about Roads End to Whitney Portal? 53 miles on my calculation.

Edited to add - and shuttle back from Bob Ennis of mt whitney shuttle who has a full size minibus that I think could take 10 of you. Won't be cheap, but split 10 ways it should be <$100 each.
They said easiest, not shortest. Just getting to Junction Meadow requires 5000 feet of elevation gain on an exposed, hot trail.

An easier plan with shorter miles would be staring on the east side. Horseshoe would be perfect, if not for the fire. Shuttling would be cheaper. Drop the car at the Portal, get the shuttle to take you to Horseshoe to start.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Horseshoe would be perfect, if not for the fire.
OP indicated that this trip is planned for next year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Hopefully it will not burn up the entire area to the point that it is unpleasant. Personally, I find hiking on ash covered trails is gritty and unpleasant.
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Post by davepctjmt »

AlmostThere wrote:
davepctjmt wrote:What about Roads End to Whitney Portal? 53 miles on my calculation.

They said easiest, not shortest. Just getting to Junction Meadow requires 5000 feet of elevation gain on an exposed, hot trail.

An easier plan with shorter miles would be staring on the east side. Horseshoe would be perfect, if not for the fire. Shuttling would be cheaper. Drop the car at the Portal, get the shuttle to take you to Horseshoe to start.
5000ft is +3hrs on hike time for me. +20 miles is +6hrs. Easiest is subjective, but I think the roads end route is easier (although the hands up, I've not done the initial HST section and its years since I hiked out of roads end, but I don't remember the heat being a problem) However, if the OP wants options, I've provided an alternative.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm channeling the part where the OP seems to not plan a lot of trips, which generally means not going on a lot of trips. Which means that the group is probably a bunch of folks who backpack, once a year, which I've hiked with folks like that quite a lot, and found that while I can do 5000+ feet of gain over 6-7 miles without being drop-dead exhausted, it k-i-l-l-s people who don't hike as often as I do...

The HST is more gradually approaching the steeper climbs (Kaweah Gap, Whitney, etc) and gives the gradual acclimation to boot. More days would be ideal, however.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Just my friendly suggestion. Just summit Mt Whitney this trip via cottonwood pass as AT suggested or Onion Valley, and then do a west east crossing next trip. It is certainly doable from a number of locations. If you have any first timers in the group, or people with heavy gear, I wouldn't suggest this hike at all. If everyone is experienced with light kits I say go for it. If you guys are experienced, look at the mileage, elevation profiles, and obvious hot spots and you tell us which is easier!

Hell, even if you are experienced and able to do the HST or roads end->whitney, cottonwood pass->crabtree pass->crabtree meadow->whitney is some of the best scenery in the sierra. This is the way to summit whitney on a 4 day trip. The shuttle is a snap too.