No longer carrying a headlamp

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: No longer carrying a headlamp

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:However, when deleting small items (few ounces) to lighten the pack, it makes more sense to me to simply leave out the similar ounces of food or water carried. Carry one cup less water and you save as much. And unless you regularly come out with absolutely NO food left, you can take off a few ounces here too.
People are different. I've run out of food a few times and when that happened my body just kind of ground to a halt. So I do my best to avoid that. Water is similar, although less dramatic. Dehydration just slows me down and makes me feel lousy.

I know what you mean though. Food and water are heavy so sometimes it seems crazy to file down a toothbrush to save 5g when that's what a handful of granola weighs. But still, a whole bunch of those little 5g savings add up to something significant, something more than even you might decide was prudent to leave behind in food weight. You can't just look at one of them in isolation.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I did not switch to the Luci to save weight and not sure it really is a weight savings. I just like the quality of light better. I am usually solo but i have always been annoyed by others wearing headlamps that obnoxiously shine right into my face at night.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

I did not switch to the Luci to save weight and not sure it really is a weight savings. I just like the quality of light better. I am usually solo but i have always been annoyed by others wearing headlamps that obnoxiously shine right into my face at night.
Yep, I really don't like the headlamps in camp. Diffuse light is much better. It was minor weight savings for me, but a better light for my use.
Then I guess I don't understand your aversion to batteries with respect to a headlamp or water treatment.
Not a distinct aversion, so much as if I bring a headlamp, I feel compelled to bring extra batteries in case it turns on inside my pack, if I bring the steripen I need to bring extra batteries too. Without weight penalty, both these changes made my loadout simpler, and less "stuff". I'm not a luddite, I just want simple/easy/friction free. (I LOVE the jetboil, despite non-trivial weight, for exactly that reason)
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I used a headlamp one time and didn't like it. Besides I later decided that for me night time was for sleeping.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rayfound wrote:...if I bring a headlamp, I feel compelled to bring extra batteries in case it turns on inside my pack, if I bring the steripen I need to bring extra batteries too.
It sounds like a headlamp that couldn't turn on accidentally (or had an auto-off feature) would be one solution.

Neither of my lights is likely to go dead in my pack. The original version Tikka has a mechanical slide switch and it would be very difficult for it to turn on accidentally. It's got such long battery life it wouldn't even matter that much if it did. The keychain thing has an auto-off feature. I never take spare batteries.

There are times when a headlamp is the tool of choice. I don't know how many of you were around when we used to hold little metal flashlights in our teeth when setting up camp in the dark. The development of lightweight backpacking headlamps was a godsend. And the modern ones are so small and light you could carry two and in most cases barely notice it.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the mini mag lights had a dental adapter so you didn't have to put your teeth on the bare metal. Lets see. I have a headlamp in the truck in case of a mishap and I need the light, and a headlamp when I backpack because no moon and hiking out heavy at night would have been a pain/dangerous in one situation without it. Equipment choices kind of depend on the trip/logistics involved.

Agree that the LED's are superior and the batteries last a long, long time.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Not a distinct aversion, so much as if I bring a headlamp, I feel compelled to bring extra batteries in case it turns on inside my pack, if I bring the steripen I need to bring extra batteries too.
Never had my headlamp turn on and for the steripen I reverse two of the batteries after each usage. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

It's a little heavy by some people's standards (not mine), but I have an older Petzl headlamp that comes with a convenient lantern attachment that I've been pretty happy with. A few years ago it was one of the higher rated models offered by REI. I tend to use the lantern feature more often than the headlamp, but having the directed, hands-free option is nice for certain in-camp applications as well as the rare night hike. I have a Luci too but haven't taken it on a hike yet so am unable to offer a comparison.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:the mini mag lights had a dental adapter so you didn't have to put your teeth on the bare metal.
Those came a little later but there was indeed a period where that was one solution. I never got one though. My old mini mag was missing a lot of blue paint at the end. I wonder how much of it I swallowed?

With the first generation of smaller headlamps you had to worry about the incandescent lightbulb burning out. Some of them even came with a spare lightbulb stashed inside the body of the headlamp.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:Never had my headlamp turn on and for the steripen I reverse two of the batteries after each usage. :)
I've had my newer, fancier headlamp turn on in the pack many times. It just takes a button push to do it and it has no auto-off. Not a very well thought out design. The whole thing is poorly designed, especially the user interface. Most headlamps I've looked at seem that way. On mine, getting to the batteries isn't all that easy so reversing them (while I have done it) doesn't work well as a regular routine.

The last time I checked out the available headlamps I was pretty disappointed. Why am I still using a headlamp that's over ten years old? It's not because it's that good (it isn't). It's because the newer ones are worse in some important respects. They could be so much better...