Camping In Car On Road In Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Camping In Car On Road In Yosemite

Post by InsaneBoost »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Go to the wilderness kiosk and get an overnight permit for the next night, to backpack on some obscure trail that has plenty of permits available, and then camp at the backpacker's campground after your viewing of the meteor shower.
Are they open 24/7? I won't be getting in until 11-12 tonight.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

There was a time when it was legal to park and sleep in vehicles roadside in Yosemite and people would toss out sleeping bags at the Lembert Dome parking lot. That ended in the 80s. And yes there was a time when one could park along SR120 to the east below Tioga Pass. But that has not been the case for at least 20 years so GB's input is not valid. I have the big latest 2010 edition Inyo National Forest map that in dotted red boundaries shows all what are termed "Recreation Restriction Area Boundary". As I noted above the whole area along SR120 down to US395 is clearly within that NO dispersed camping zone. Anyone that regularly disperse camps as I have done for decades should have maps showing those areas. Most NF have free black and white map sheets showing those areas and usually they are not out in the open but behind their counters thus need to be asked for. In other words dispersed camping is mildly discouraged by doing so because they do want newbie and clueless campers to use standard campgrounds. Now besides the 9k bend I related above, the whole east side of the Saddlebag Road can be legally dispersed camped while the west side of the road where all the parking spots are at are marked as not. However there is a single parking spot on the east side of that gravel road where one apparently can do so.

David
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

InsaneBoost wrote:I think I know the road you are talking about to Saddlebag. That's not too far from where I'll be shooting. Perhaps I'll just go down that way. I assume CHP/Forest don't check that area then?

We were pulled over at 1 AM by a CHP officer that was hanging out right there at that turnoff. I don't know what that guy had going on but it was a strange and awkward experience. Anyway, they do roam around looking in vehicles, but they tend to only scrutinize vehicles in the valley it seems. I don't feel what you describe is against the spirit of the rule, but at the same time, expect to be given a citation.

I can easily sleep in my vehicle pretty much anywhere without worry. It is pretty nice actually.